INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
tuf45198@temple.edu

Reply with quote  #1 
After watching Ustad Shahid Parvez's technique in https://youtu.be/nR5-eV5fV8w,

I became specifically interested in his sitar modification that allows him to do that.  This left handed pinky pluck on pulled taraf string is possible because of his sitar modification.  Barend noted in a previous forum that this is an easy modification and can easily be done at home.

I have been in communication with Tony Karasek and brought up this idea and he stated, "...regarding those string posts in front of the eyelets... Rikhi Ram got going on this years ago. In an effort to stop the eyelets from splitting, these string posts were installed to reduce the string angle and tension on the rim of the eyelet hole. Technically it holds up. Problem is that the strings are now higher up at the eyelet area. This can suggest strings catching the underside of the highest fret. Seriously no good. Another issue is that those posts will eventually slip down. Now you have string angle and jawari issues. What I would do is to check that the eyelets are horn, not bone. Harder ! Last long time ! ! "

Interesting take on this and thought this topic would be a good jumping point for a new forum discussion.  Any other takes on this modification?  Pictures of DIY projects?  Pros/Cons of its' implementation?

Photo credit : http://www.sitar-tabla.com/shahidparvezsitarused.htm

Taraf_mod.png

Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Tony is correct, they probably came up with the idea due to pre-made bodies already having been drilled and so the afterthought modification much like the high arch frets..... Bone is ok but the issue is they bleach it which weakens it so you can make your own from deer antler. To put the post in front you have to drill a spot for it which is permanent, and if you're doing it as a modification you'll have to fine tune as the jawari is set for the lower level of the eyelet. They are also prone to falling out during transport.

If you have a sitar body with a higher tabli and low fret setting like SenGupta and others yes you run the risk of hitting the frets. A better option is you take out the grommet, install a modern one where the string comes up over it from a pinhole at the top, those will last mostly 'forever' and you can fit them to the size of the existing hole that's already there. You could make them from antler tips, delrin/acetal rod, resin, etc. I'll have a batch done in a few weeks as well. My old Hiren Roy had this done years ago, works very well.

Reply with quote  #3 
The little posts infront of each grommet should not have something to do with the technique we discussed in the other thread though.

It's the little post on the picture that is not "enaged". If you put the string there, the distance between first and second taraf string is bigger than normal, enabling you to incorporate them with your left hand pinky into rhytmic patterns... 

shouldn't that work with normal grommets...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
[...] install a modern one where the string comes up over it from a pinhole at the top, those will last mostly 'forever' and you can fit them to the size of the existing hole that's already there.

I don't quite get it. Can you post a picture of them?

regards Michael
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Lemon Mike
The little posts infront of each grommet should not have something to do with the technique we discussed in the other thread though.

It's the little post on the picture that is not "enaged". If you put the string there, the distance between first and second taraf string is bigger than normal, enabling you to incorporate them with your left hand pinky into rhytmic patterns... 

shouldn't that work with normal grommets...?

I don't quite get it. Can you post a picture of them?

regards Michael

1) yes that taraf pinky thing works with normal grommets too.
2) I think Lars means the one that Barun Roy uses. Like in this picture. Not sure though.

[hrteakphulia]
Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes Barend has explained it correctly. In the picture with the modern phulia/grommets that one was made that way new. If you want to convert an older one instead of drilling the small hole up top in the wood you can also make a small cut in the grommet at the top if you don't want to make additional holes. It's a bit more work...

Reply with quote  #6 
I agree with Blind Lemon Mike.
Parvez.png  I had a Barun made Hiren Roy with the same thing
0017a.jpg 

Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #7 
@westsea. Yeah, that's exactly what i meant....

@Lars 

thanks for the clarification. On my Sitar one of the grommet is sliced by the string and the string gets stuck in there, preventing it from ringing properly. I would replace it, but i cannot even get it out there its glued in so tightly. And since i don't have much experience i don't want to be too violent about it. I just is stuck so tight in the hole I'm not able to get it out, so that i can replace it...

Any tips on an issue like that

regards 
Blind Lemon Mike

tuf45198@temple.edu

Reply with quote  #8 
Wow, I really love this.  Exactly the expanded discussion I was searching for online but couldn't find.  Great to be a new member in this community.  Thanks for your input @Lars @Barend @Blind Lemon Mike @westsea, it's an honor.  

Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #9 
@westsea

do you always use it that way, or just if you actually use the dicribed technique?

also, does it affect tuning stability or jawari (probably not a problem due to the very slight change in angle...)

regards Michael
westsea

Reply with quote  #10 
Blind Lemon Mike,
I don't have the sitar anymore, but when I did I left the string on the little peg.  It added another
level of chikari type rhythm.  The tuning and jawari were normal (as normal as sitar tuning and jawari can be!)
barend

Reply with quote  #11 
From what maker exactly is the sitar in above Shahid Parvez picture? Is he always using the same sitar? And why did he leave out the name tag of the sitar?
katyrow

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend
From what maker exactly is the sitar in above Shahid Parvez picture? Is he always using the same sitar? And why did he leave out the name tag of the sitar?

I have read that it was made by Shahidali in Miraj, but that Ustadji had the frets re-seated and setup redone elsewhere.  
barend

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow

I have read that it was made by Shahidali in Miraj, but that Ustadji had the frets re-seated and setup redone elsewhere.  

Ok thanks. Any idea why he always plays his sitars without a name tag?
Think I never saw him play a sitar with a name tag. Is that deliberate?
Lars

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend

Ok thanks. Any idea why always plays his sitars without a name tag?
Think I never saw him play a sitar with a name tag? Is that deliberate?

It's deliberate. Very common with players in the VK style.

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars

It's deliberate. Very common with players in the VK style.

Why is that?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.