INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bovindra

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi to everyone.I'm new here.
I'm repairing an old sitar from the sixties that I've found on a friend's loft and I need to know if the taraf bridge has to be attached to a piece of wood (like the main bridge, but without the legs, of course) or you just place the piece of bone (or horn or wathever) over the body?
I need to know that before ordering the stuff because in many websites they don't specify, they just say taraf bridge and I want to make sure what I'm getting.And I can't check my own sitar because now I'm living in the UK.
I apologize about my english.It's not my mother tongue.
Many thanks.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, Bovindra! Welcome to this forum. Lots of useful information here. Lots of other stuff too for entertainment !!!
Your taraf bridge - legs are needed. They can be made from wood or bone. Make two strips approximately 3/16" wide x 3/8" high x 1" long. Glue each onto the underside of the bridge in a position like the main bridge legs. A full strip of wood covering the entire underside is not needed. There may be some glue marks from the original legs already. When the glue has dried, set the bridge in its proper position on the soundboard just ahead of the main bridge. See how the height is and the angle of the strings to the bridge surface. Sand the underside of the bridge legs (if needed) until the correct height and angle is reached. Not a very difficult job. Take your time. Be careful. Do a neat job. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #3 
you've been very helpful.
I'll bother you with more questions in the near future.
Many thanks again.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
You're most welcome !
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.