INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
William

Reply with quote  #1 
I am a new comer and have a simple question concerning tuning the 11 tarab strings of my recently bought sitar....
I have been learning my way around Kafi Thaat...and becoming familiar with Bageshri and Bhimpalasi
Would it be best for me to tune those 11 tarabs strings to komal Ni and komal ga?

I am currently between jobs and haven't the money, as of yet, to learn from any local instructor...

any info would be greatly appreciated
sason

Reply with quote  #2 
For Bageshri your should have ni komal and ga komal.
The tuning depends on the style you play
For Bageshri (from lower to higher):
Dha, Ni (komal), SA, Re, Ga (komal), Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa, Re
Or
Ni (komal), Dha, SA, Re, Ga (komal)), Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa, Re
Or
Ni (komal), Ni (komal), SA, Re, Ga (komal), Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa, Re
William

Reply with quote  #3 
...that helps!
taking notes & Thank you !!!!
sason

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi,
A small correction/addition.

Just played Bageshri, I prefer the tuning:

SA, Ni (komal), Dha, Re, Ga (komal), Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa, Re
William

Reply with quote  #5 
ahhh...... thank you!
I am not too sure which tarab string to tune to Sa...the shortest (closest to my head) tarab string to Sa....then onward to the longest tarab string, being Re?

I am very, very new to the sitar and haven't sought out a personal instructor as of yet but I will some day soon

side note; is Bageshri an evening raag?
Thanks!
sason

Reply with quote  #6 
You start with the longest string. The first Dha and Ni are of the lower octave. The final Sa and Re are of the higher octave. The rest are of the middle octave.
Bageshri is midnight raga .
junior

Reply with quote  #7 
How do you tune the taraf strings on an 11 taraf string instrument when the instructions that I have outline the notes for a 13 taraf string sitar? How do the 11 taraf strings overlap on the 13 taraf strings? Thanks in advance!
William

Reply with quote  #8 
junior...this one works best for my 11 tarab stringend instrument...
compliments of sason;

Ni (komal), Ni (komal), SA, Re, Ga (komal), Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa, Re
playing Bagheshri...of course
junior

Reply with quote  #9 
For example, Jay Scott Hackleman's tuning chart recommends the 13 tarafs to be tuned to the following (lowest to highest):

Sa, Sa, Ni, Sa, Re, Ga, Ma, Ma (komal), Pa, Da, Ni, Sa, Re

So, my question is this: If you have an 11 taraf sitar, is it correct to assume that you drop two of the above strings? If so, which ones? In other words, what is the relationship between the two systems of taraf?

Thanks again!

John
junior

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the info, William.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #11 
The primary objective of the taraf strings is to add resonance and sparkle to the main notes of the raga you are playing.

So generally there is not only a single tuning configuration possibility for a raga. Though many do settle on the same optimal tuning for a raag.

Remember that when you play the taraf, typically with the nail of the RH pinky you are playing the avroh of the raga. So as long as they are the right notes for the raga many combinations can work. Some may prefer to have two strings tuned to an important swara and others may prefer to cover more notes and have 'D instead of having two taraf strings tuned to m.

I play often with a kirtan group that changes modality from song to song so I have both N and n, D or d, both G and g and thus get some resonance on many songs as possible without retuning in-between. But I would not play the taraf in this setting.

junior

Reply with quote  #12 
Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.