INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
There is a link below for a crappy old tanpura on ebay.
It is interesting in one respect though.
It has Sympathetic strings.
Why dont all tanpuras have sympathetic strings.
It would seem like a good idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BIRDHEAD-TAMBOURI-W-SYMPATHETIC-STRINGS-sitar-tamboura_W0QQitemZ190238757273QQihZ009QQcategoryZ623QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
martin spaink

Reply with quote  #2 
Wow, not only tarabs, but even jivari ki adi.. :?: :!: I can give you some reasons why I think it not such a good idea to have anything else than 4/5 playing strings.
1st - and foremost: anything added to the perfect balance that is offered by 4 fundamentals with jivari will not be an improvement. Sa rules with 881 and adding one other fundamental 4, 5 or 7 gives it that incredible fertile dynamic that creates the sonic offspring. Adding more fundamentals with their respective overtones can easily turn things in to thick muddy soup.
2nd - it seems that most people have enough trouble tuning four jivari-rich strings - adding yet more strings won't help.

I would not mind spending a couple of days with such a complex contraption, however, curiosity will always do it for me..
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
I wouldn't immediately say it's a tambouri!!
It's looks to me like one of those tiny decorative sitars/surbahars that someone's converted.
I did it myself & made a lovely 5 stringer with 7 taraf!!!
Closer look at the pics & it may well be a tambouri but....

Nick
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #4 
Dudes! It's a toy. You can see these in the tourist bucket shops in Bombay for about Rs 300.
They're only about 28 inches long. Years ago I mistakenly ordered one like this from
Bhargava and I keep it in the window of the shop - as a decoration, tho folks are always
trying to buy it because they thinks it's an actual playable instrument.
Cheers,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.