INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #1 
As referred to in a previous thread. A radio interview with Tanmoy Bose where he talks about tabla, his gurus, Kanai Dutta, Shankar Ghosh, their guru Gyan Prakash Ghosh, and "Kolkata Gharana". Also a short demonstration with much recitation.

mp3 / 30 mb 1 hour 13 min.

http://rapidshare.com/files/73554644/Tanmoy_interview_mono.mp3

(My apologies for the lack of quality - it was recorded directly from the radio with a defective connection.)

Reply with quote  #2 
You used to be able to listen to this on 'Bolrecords.com' which has since disappeared. Tanmoy is a 'serious' tabla player with a great personality. Anyone know of any commercially available recordings of him?
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Jamie"
You used to be able to listen to this on 'Bolrecords.com' which has since disappeared. Tanmoy is a 'serious' tabla player with a great personality. Anyone know of any commercially available recordings of him?
I had the pleasure of meeting Tanmoy for the first time last month - you're right, he is a serious tabla player with much insight and a great personality! He doesn't 'showcase' himself like a lot of other players do, but I guess it's just his manner. He's definitely 'a tabla players tabla player'.

There was a wonderfully recorded solo CD of Tanmoy with a very informative booklet produced by the same defunct 'Bolrecords' label. I'm debating whether to upload it since it's either very difficult or impossible to find, however, I presume the copyright is still active.

Reply with quote  #4 
If the record company is defunct and out of business, there really isn't any copy right issue.

Protest Warrior sign.
Shouri

Reply with quote  #5 
It's nice to hear that people are talking about my guruji. If anyone is interested in the bolrecords CD being talked about, message me and I can try and get it to you. I have several original copies in their sealed packages with the booklet that Aanaddha is talking about.

I think it's a little premature to render Bolrecords defunct

Thanks!

Shouri
rapture

Reply with quote  #6 
i like the cd too, and the booklet is really nice. it's unique in that they write out the compositions and explain their origins. i got the audio interview to go along with the booklet and cd, but i really don't remember where i got it from. i think it's different from the one A has posted, but i haven't heard that yet, so i can't be sure.

this is the only solo cd of his that i know about...definitely worth buying.

-r
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Shouri"

I think it's a little premature to render Bolrecords defunct
Perhaps, though there hadn't been any CD's issued from the site since 2002. I will presume Mr. Parag Chordia still owns the copyright, however.

Rapture,
I think the interview I've posted is the full interview broadcast on WKCR radio. The other website interview was a shortened version without Tanmoy's more frank observations and personal views.

Reply with quote  #8 
Good to know.

Protest Warrior sign.
rapture

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Aanaddha"

Rapture,
I think the interview I've posted is the full interview broadcast on WKCR radio. The other website interview was a shortened version without Tanmoy's more frank observations and personal views.

i vaguely remember downloading the mp3s from somewhere - there are about 30 short clips. if we're talking about the same interview, then i'm looking forward to hearing the full version. just finished getting the ramji mishra solo, now i need to get the vk and ar recording. the wait between downloads is too long! i'll get the interview when i've finished with that one. i wish i had some old recordings to post also, but i'm afraid i only have newer cds.

-r
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #10 
No hurry. I've got lots of stuff and lots of time. The Rapidshare links don't expire and there's no limit to the number of people who can upload the files. Besides, it's more important to listen to the recordings than it is to grab them because they're free. :wink:

Reply with quote  #11 
He is actually Dr. Chordia now, and an assistant professor and Georgia Tech. http://www.coa.gatech.edu/music/faculty/parag_chordia.htm
He is still very much involved in the promotion/education of Indian Classical Music. I assume you can contact him directly for more information on Bol Records and their releases (I believe there was also a sitar release by Pt. Nayan Ghosh pending on the label).
Narv007

Reply with quote  #12 
Would it be possible for someone to upload this interview? I have been trying to find the mp3's on the internet, but they are nowhere to be found! Thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.