INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
dubois

Reply with quote  #1 
Referring to the DVD of Nikhilda and Zakirji playing Manj Khammaj: it starts and ends in tintal, but the medium tempo is one of the many tals I'm not familiar with.

It sounds to me like 14 beats, 3+4+3+4 and clap,clap,wave,clap. I'm quite certain it's not rupak tal. The only tal I've found which might come close is dipchandi, but the tal index says it's used for filmi and semiclassical; and the theka doesn't sound like what Zakirji plays, not that he plays the straight theka very often.

Also: what is the tal "asta mongal"? It appears on "Majestic Tabla of Swapan Chaudhuri". It sounds like 11 beats with the last 3 beats played 4-over-3
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #2 
hi there,

i have that Nikhil Banerjee and Zakir Hussein DVD. There was a miss-labeling, I believe. It's not Manj Khammaj, but Misra Khammaj. Misra ragas are light classical, and a performance will encorperate notes and whole phrases from other ragas. You can hear Nikhilda go into a few other ragas in the middle of the performance.

best,

jf

Chaz

Reply with quote  #3 
If the taal isn't Deepchandi, then there's a chance it is Jhoomra, which is also a symmetrical 14-beat taal; but that's used primarily in vocal music, so I doubt it. If/when Zakir improvises, does he play Laggi? If so, then you can bet it's Deepchandi with imbellishments. But here's the Jhoomra theka, just in case:

/Dhin - - Dhaghe tira kita / Dhin - Dhin - Dha Dhaghe tira kita
/Tin - - Taka tira kita / Dhin - Dhin - Dha Dhaghe tira kita
/Dhin

Asta Mongal is indeed 11 beats...these days. It used to be counted as 22, and the theka was different, but it was changed somewhere. Still, Swapan's undoubtedly playing 11. Good counting!
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi all

it definately aint jhumra. It is a bit like deepchandi, but I havent heard it lately. What i think it could be is Chachar taal also of 14 beats which has folk origins and used in ghazals and light numbers.

Reply with quote  #5 

Without The Bools or without hearing it one call tell which is it, but jhumra is like this.

Dhin SDha Tirakita | Dhi Dhi Dhage Tirakita | Tin STha Tirakita | Dhi Dhi

Dhage Tirakita

the Variety

Dhin SDha Tirakit | Dhin Dhin Dha-Dhage Tirakit | Tin STha Tirakit | Dhi

Dhi Dha-Dhage Tirakit

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.