Sub/Q

Reply with quote  #2 
is that you?
TablaPlayer731

Reply with quote  #3 
haha yeah.
suiramnad

Reply with quote  #4 
Very Nice! Just curious, how long have you been playing? I've been playing about 1.5 years and am trying to track my progress compared to others. Also how long do you practice every day?
Thanks,

Reply with quote  #5 
Hey, I really liked it ! I really really admired that you played the whole thing with a lehera. I have been playinig 3 years, and I'd say I am about 1/4 'th of your level now. Was good to see the video, thanks I will make mine over the weekend and post it Monday.
TablaPlayer731

Reply with quote  #6 
I'm been learning for about eight years. I use to practice at least one hour a day but, eleventh grade is very hard and I am taking difficult AP classes so I don't really get that much time to practice anymore. This clip isn't very good, I'm going to make a good one and post it later on.
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #7 
Thats really a good one. Who is your Guru and where are you located ?
I feel that if you decide to take up tabla as a fulltime career, we can see you accompaning some great artists in future.
TablaPlayer731

Reply with quote  #8 
My Guru isn't a very famous one but, he is a great teacher. His name is Shashanka Bakshi, disciple of Pt. Samta Prasad. I'm located in Los Angeles, California.
rapture

Reply with quote  #9 
ahh, benares baaj. totally didn't catch that from your style of playing. can you explain?
tablafreak

Reply with quote  #10 
Benares?

Sounds Farroukabad to me. Well I guess that not saying much....

Zakir Ji even sounds like he is a farroukaabad player these days.

Reply with quote  #11 
Yes, your play does sound like Farukhabad Gharana, but it must be because nowadays all teachers teach Kaidas relas etc from different Gharanas, so thats the reason.
Those days are gone when the disciples used to go to their guru's house and stay there for as long as 10 years to learn and master a particular gharana.
But now its hard to predict a players gharana just by listenning him/her for few minutes.
rapture

Reply with quote  #12 
pt. samta prasad ji was an exponent of the benares gharana, that's why i was asking about the technique and sound.
TablaPlayer731

Reply with quote  #13 
Well, notice I didn't mention “I'm from the Beneres gharana.” I do have lots of Beneres bols but, I didn't play them because of 1: time, and 2: They aren't that fun to play. They are too traditional and sometimes bore me. Like the preshkars etc. I mean there are some very good ones, I know, but couldn't remember them at the time. I theoretically should be of the Beneres gharana, however, like some of you already said, that distinction is hard if not impossible to make now-a-days. People don't just play one gharana anymore (well besides Pt. Krishen Maharaj, whom my guru loves, but I find boring; this is my opinion and not meant to offend anyone).
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.