INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
TABLA Ustad TAFOO KHAN

The first 20 minutes is a long interview (but not in English unfortunately) and the rest (40 minutes) is a tabla solo concert. Various bits and pieces have appeared on yutube before but this seems the more complete footage.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
SarangiLal

Reply with quote  #2 
I'd love to hear your thoughts on his playing.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "SarangiLal"
I'd love to hear your thoughts on his playing.
I very much admire his incredible speed and technique, and I like his stage presence. He seems very affable and knows how to connect with his audience. However, it seems that what he often plays is some variation of ...

dhatrkttkdhatrkttktkdhadhatrkttkdhatrkttktkdhadhatrkttkdhatrkttktkdhadhatrkttkdhatrkttktkdhadhatrkttkdhatrkttktkdhadhatrkttkdhatrkttktkdha....

I no doubt exaggerate, but he often seems to have only 2 speeds ... fast and faster ... it can be exhausting watching him play after a while.

However, this next video is perhaps a better example of his more nuanced playing ....

He does some very interesting stuff around minute 20+ ...

I should add, however that quite apart from that, U. Tafoo Khan's musical talent extend beyond tabla. In various short youtube clips, I've seen him play very convincingly the piano, the harmonium, the guitar, the xylophone, and even just a plain table top with his finger nails!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.