INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Rikishankar

Reply with quote  #1 
Nameste,
Excuse my lack of Tabla knowledge, for I am a current sitar student. I was wondering if someone could briefly explain what to tune my larger Bayan. Mine is currently tuned to E, but i assume it needs to be in either F#, C# or G#. I could be wrong though.
Again forgive my lack of knowledge, it was purchased yesterday.
Cheers,
Richard Hillson
scodoha

Reply with quote  #2 
You didn't say what the dayan is tuned to. Thats the most important one. If you're just interested in hearing the drums, any of those tunings is fine. If you're interested in learning the instrument, well at the point that you are it really doesn't matter. Tune it how you like it.
Rikishankar

Reply with quote  #3 
There is absolutely no reason to be so brash my friend. As I said, I have been posting on these forums for a while now (sitar) and i have not been met with such uselessness. Maybe my English wasn't good, I asked you what the traditional tuning was for the tabla. I have no clue, I would just like ot know more about it... i didn't ask for rude responces, and I didn't know what exactly how to ask it.
Try being understanding, this is for learning not criticism.
-Richard H.
scodoha

Reply with quote  #4 
My apologies. I didn't think I was being rude. I WAS trying to challenge you to greater effort however.

To answer your implied question, there is no traditional tuning.

For the sake of argument though; if the dayan is tuned to sa and sa is C then one might like to tune the bayan to sa as well, if thats too high then ma or pa an ocatave lower. Some players just like to leave it slack with no discernible pitch. You might like to tune it to the vadi or samvadi of the raga or perhaps slightly lower so when the hand rests on the head it actually comes into tune.

So . . . again I say, tune it how YOU like. If a teacher accepts you he/she may have a stricture to give you regarding the bayan tuning and then it will be up to you to accept or reject.
Heartkore

Reply with quote  #5 
Riki,

I would agree that there is no one way to tune the tablas. You could attempt to do so with a well trained musical ear, but I would be weary. I have ruined skins before I knew what I was actually doing. It is a delicate process for a beginner, as I am.
zennman

Reply with quote  #6 
Slightly off topic, but just wanted to say I have had excellent results tuning my tablas with a Korg guitar tuner (I have both the GA30 and CA30, both work well). I think it might be implicitly harmful in that it prevents developing my ear... I am hoping to eventually let go of it and work on tuning by ear.
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
Normally I don't post, but I thought I might interject here. There has been some interest responses and all have a certain validity.

We must remember that tuning the dayan and tuning the bayan are two totally different topics. For this post, I will confine myself entirely to the topic of tuning the bayan.

To begin with, tuning the bayan really has nothing to do with the musical situation. It is easy to say that you should tune to Sa, Pa, or some other important musical note, but more times than not, this means nothing. Imagine that you tune to Sa. Well what happens during the modulations? The simple act of modulating the bayan means that the pitch will be wandering all over the place, so it means nothing to tune to an important note of the performance.

Therefore, the bayan should be tuned to itself. Each bayan has a an intrinsic range at which it sounds right and is responsive. You will know from experience what that range will be.

However, the topic is complicated by the exact definition of “responsive”. Musicians who have a strong tendency toward changing pressure to effect their modulations will find that tuning to a slightly lower range will make their bayans more responsive. Conversely Musicians who tend toward using the position of the wrist to be the major technique for effecting their modulations will find that tuning to a slightly higher range will make their bayan more responsive. The most extreme case will be those who use the thumb to effect modulations. Such musicians will find that the bayan should really be quite tight.

The bottom line is that the correct tuning of the bayan has nothing to do with the musical situation and everything to do with the construction of your bayan and your particular approach toward modulations. In other words, if it sounds right, and feels right, then it is right!

Peace

David Courtney
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks David,
Your rare "interjections" are are appreciated as they are invaluable - particularly on such topics as these where there is a wide difference of both custom and opinion. I have heard many of those opinions, some contradictory, about tuning the bayan and many do seem musically valid. It would however appear, as you say, that the first priority is that the bayan is tuned to itself. The other factors that lead me to believe that your opinion has more reasonable validity than musical logic might otherwise dictate is that most artists I know tour with several individually tuned dayans while they customarily carry only one bayan? Nor have I ever heard of any bayan or bayan puri of any size or shape being referred to by it's particular tuning.
You've confirmed my suspicions on the matter. :wink:

Again, thank you.

A.

Reply with quote  #9 
Absolutely on point David, thankyou.
bayan is and should never be tuned on a special note.
it is just the way a player feels comfortable in playing it. that is how it is tuned.

'In other words, if it sounds right, and feels right, then it is right! '

Perfect words to describe it!!!

Prabhakar
rapture

Reply with quote  #10 
hey guys...

this is my first post since the new layout went online....sorry for the absence.

i'd agree that there's no point in trying to tune the bayan - especially since it will lose the pitch after a few strong modulations. i think if you see any tabla player "tuning" the bayan, what he's actually doing is equalizing the tension on the puri. or changing the tension so it "feels" right. you won't know what feels right for a couple of years, so don't worry about it.

-r
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.