INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 
Is there a SCIENCE as to why my Small 5.25inch tabla is soooooooooooooooooooo SENSITIVE to weather changes?

Mind my language, but in some weathers, my tabla sounds like a DOGGGG
really really bad and dead - pulling straps and all helps - but still bad sounding.

But my 7 inch tabla is pretty resilient to weather changes.

Why are small tablas so sensitive !?

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
ahirbhairav

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Is there a SCIENCE as to why my Small 5.25inch tabla is soooooooooooooooooooo SENSITIVE to weather changes?

Mind my language, but in some weathers, my tabla sounds like a DOGGGG
really really bad and dead - pulling straps and all helps - but still bad sounding.

But my 7 inch tabla is pretty resilient to weather changes.

Why are small tablas so sensitive !?
There's this one thing called "air".

Rakesh & Friends (Gino Banks, the drummer, tweeted me that they'll be in Oct, so whenever they come here, if they come here.)
Zakir Hussain & company (3/23/14)
Acelga

Reply with quote  #3 
More like the humidity percentage in the air is the problem there. Buy a hygrometer and check the humidity changes and how it affects the sound.

Under 40% all my tablas sound great. Above 75% forget it.

Not only the skin, the wood is very important too. Sitar and Guitar players I play with are the first at noticing if the weather is going to be good. The sound becomes more brilliant when the wood "dries".

The wood or skin, or strap of your small tabla can be extremely sensitive to this.

I had a strange tabla whose pudi got so wet when the humidity was high, that you could see even microscopic pools all over the kinar. I had to remove that pudi and now is fine.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"
More like the humidity percentage in the air is the problem there. Buy a hygrometer and check the humidity changes and how it affects the sound.

Under 40% all my tablas sound great. Above 75% forget it.
I have essentially the same experience except that for me the ideal humidity level is around 50% or below. The sound becomes noticeably degraded at 60%, but still playable, but like you, above 75% and all I get is mostly a dull thud-like sound. But the effect is not entirely consistent across all my tablas. Like Tablabeatz, my biggest one (and it's only 6") seems to withstand increasing humidity the best. Next is a 5 1/2 punjabi tabla that remains mostly resonant (and it's the one that does not seem to use iron dust in the shyai). Of the remaining Mukta Das tablas, the worst is my 5 1/4 but it's also the one that I played the most. Oddly, the 5" tabla still sounds mostly fine, but it's one that I never play (except may 2 or 3 times). The other 2 tablas also have their sound degraded by high humidity but in different degrees, the one being more often played being more so than the one played less often.

It's odd to me that the tabla most often played is the one most affected by humidity. That's why I can't help but feel that powder/talc is somehow implicated but I'm a bit unclear as to how.

In any case, it's been extremely rainy lately, and the humidity is now around 70% ... quite unpleasant for both me and my tablas!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
Well it sucks for me cause the weather here has been hovering between 60% to 70% for weeks if not months - ! Just can't catch a break.

Whatabout performers????! What do they do when the humidity is pretty high??! Bear with it???

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
PAZ

Reply with quote  #6 
TB,

Have you tried to keep your drums stored in a warmer room? The warmer air will hold moisture better the cooler air. I also noticed in colder damp weather a very slight warping of my baya, it sinks in ever so lightly but the sound becomes very damp (pardon the pun).

Do you lossesn your tabla after practice or do you leave them taught?

Just wondering if you might over tune in the damp and leave them in the heat tuned they may stre h too far.

Paz
Peace
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Paz,

For all these years I usually detune my tabla after playing -
Recently I have been leavin the gatta midway and playing just like that - and still get the same results (I.e bad sound due to high humidity)

Maybe I'll try the warmer room theory ! I might have to repull my tablas - although I must add that I have struggled to repull my baya as the straps are really stuck tight through the holes in the gajra

Acelga

Reply with quote  #8 
One of the very first mistakes I did when I started was this, on a cold and rainy day somewhere in the mediterranean coast my tablas sounded horrible and I didn't know what to do, so I pulled it a lot. When the rains went away the next day and the sun appeared I witnessed how the pudi split in front on my nose. I'd say don't mess much with the tablas when the humidity goes up too high.

In that city I used to live the humidity was constantly over 80%, I was even thinking at buying a dehumidifier for my room!

Regarding the masters, I saw once Zakir live in Barcelona playing outdoors under a light rain. He played amazingly anyways but I am pretty sure he had to send these tablas to repair after the concert :mrgreen:
pbercker

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Hi Paz,

I have frequently read that this is not a good idea (and I'm pretty sure at least one place I've read it is in one of David Courtney's books ... I can't locate it right at the moment but will provide the page as soon as I can find it!)

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Quote:
Hi Paz,

I have frequently read that this is not a good idea (and I'm pretty sure at least one place I've read it is in one of David Courtney's books ... I can't locate it right at the moment but will provide the page as soon as I can find it!)

Pascal
Yes I agree Pascal - I used to detune thinking it would make my tablas last longer and that's what my teacher did - but it really makes no difference and the head can split anywa

@acelga - you are absolutely spot on - if it's extreme weather changes it's best to just leave the tablas alone - and dont mess too much with the straps

But this persistent high humidity here is driving me nuts - I never thought of a DEHUMIDIFIER - the idea is good !! Has anyone tried it successfully ?

pbercker

Reply with quote  #11 
Well it's finally become hot enough that the air conditioner has been turned on ... and what a difference it makes to the tablas! The last few weeks the humidity level has been hovering around 70-75% with the predictable consequence that my tablas have a dull thud-like sound to them. But with the air conditioning on, the humidity level has dropped to 60% (and temp. 74F = 23C) - not a huge decrease but enough to make my tablas playable again! 50% humidity would be even better, but I'm not complaining ...

It's worth noting, by the way, that though it's a bit counter-intuitive, cooler air can hold *less* moisture than warmer air ... so you're better off storing tablas in a cooler room rather than a warmer room if high humidity is a problem.

Pascal

assingh

Reply with quote  #12 
Hello,

Please see the following threads for help.

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/archives/1/0750.html
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/archives/1/0943.html
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/archives/1/0718.html
http://forums.chandrakantha.com/archives/1/0105.html
http://abouttabla.wordpress.com/

If all else fails then
http://www.diylife.com/2010/08/03/dont-sweat-it-reduce-indoor-humidity/
Acelga

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Well it's finally become hot enough that the air conditioner has been turned on ... and what a difference it makes to the tablas! The last few weeks the humidity level has been hovering around 70-75% with the predictable consequence that my tablas have a dull thud-like sound to them. But with the air conditioning on, the humidity level has dropped to 60% (and temp. 74F = 23C) - not a huge decrease but enough to make my tablas playable again! 50% humidity would be even better, but I'm not complaining ...

It's worth noting, by the way, that though it's a bit counter-intuitive, cooler air can hold *less* moisture than warmer air ... so you're better off storing tablas in a cooler room rather than a warmer room if high humidity is a problem.

Pascal
Air conditioning works also as dehumidifier. You only have to see the amount of water it wastes. When I had to practice at my parent's place in summer I turned on the air conditioning for one hour. The humidity would drop from 80% to 40%. Amazing sound and amazing practice, since heavy tabla practice is almost as good as cardio and when it's warm it can be annoying.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #14 

Excellent and well researched links assingh. I really enjoyed reading them !

tofu_khan

Reply with quote  #15 
This is definitely a problem for me since I live right by the ocean; I currently have a few really nice drums with fairly thick skins that aren't affected too badly by the weather, but I've learned to steer clear of Calcutta tablas since they aren't happy at all, and tend to die within a year or so.

Oh yeah, and don't detune a tabla if you're not using it. It will actually decrease the life of your pudi, and it makes the tuning unreliable when it's being played. If you keep it tuned all the time, it will eventually stretch out a bit and stiffen without harming the sound, but if it's loosened then tightened every time it's used, it puts more stress on the skin than if it were always taut.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.