INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #1 
Enjoy!

singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #2 
Per Aloke Dutta's book the Tabla solos were all in 16 beats when Tabla maestros started the solo method. Personally, I enjoy more even rhythmic cycles but then it takes a great mastery to maintain compositions in odd cycles so I appreciate the efforts.

Here are few more in 13 beats:

evening84

Reply with quote  #3 
भैंस के आगे बीन बजाई, भैंस खड़ी पगुराये
(play the been in front of a buffalo, the buffalo merrily chews its cud)

ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਜਾਣੇ ਲੌਂਗਾਂ ਦਾ ਭਾ, ਆਨਾ ਦੇ ਚਾਦਰ ਦਿੱਤੀ ਬਿਛਾ
(the peasant knows not the price of cloves, offers a penny and holds out a (large) cloth)

singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #4 
I am presenting now 10.5 Matra Tala called Punjabi Laxmi Tala. The exploration should not stop at odd cycles only.

edm_tabla

Reply with quote  #5 
Enjoyed it! Very nice rhythm!! Thanks for sharing.
RobertMaya

Reply with quote  #6 
I understand what Kitchdee is trying to convey here and I agree: it's cool when a taal screws with your mind and lands in places you would never expect and when tehais you think won't work actually do. But I disagree that it's boring because actually playing in 13 beats is probably hell for an amateur (plus, he composed the taal so it's probably nice for him to display that). Being able to articulate bols and compose variations and tehais in 6.5 (because in odd taals one usually splits it in half as well) takes a lot of energy. I don't personally think it's something I'd listen to in a taal sense unless he plays peshkar because I couldn't really care for the other stuff; tehais are what I'm after, not kaidas or relas etc. The 4 - 4 - 2.5 - 2.5 makes it a bit cool to compose tehais in, though not as cool as chartal ki sawari (or rupak). It's also not the traditional form of 13 beats, jaitaal. I'm sleepy so I can't remember how that's divided. Someone help me out here

I think it's fair to say that the wonder of an odd taal - or any taal for that matter - lies in how one splits it rather than the taal itself; odd taals just happen to come pre-split into strange configurations.

I personally enjoy Zakirji's rupak peshkar in front of the taj mahal - that is brilliant stuff.
singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #7 
Here is accompaniment enjoyment...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTZ09bWmbcmJNQVBCEyIfSg
singhhh_ap

Reply with quote  #8 
Ustad Shaukat Hussain is "Guru-Bhai" of Ustad Allah Rakha Khan. You should listen to his Panj Taal Ki Sawari and experience the enjoyment.

( These masters can make any Taal a blessing )
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.