INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Olemunati

Reply with quote  #1 
When I read about the tabla masters I have noticed that they started out in a very early age.

I am a drummer myself and I know it's rare but in the drumming(drumset) community there is a few MASTER drummers who started late to play. One have Jim Chapin who started in his early twenties and is considered to be one of the most techniqally skilled players ever. He is perhaps the most extreme case. It's incredible that a man who starts to play in his twenties becomes one of the greatest players of all time. On a techniqally level he is dancing with Buddy Rich! This guy is unbelievable!

maybe a more famous drummer is Ginger Baker who didn't start to play drums before he was eighteen. He' s the drummer of Cream and is also a higly respected jazz drummer.

Is there anyone master tabla drummer who started out late?

It would be nice to know, just to have a more variety than the: I started to play when I was three, I started to play when I was seven, I started to play when I was four, He started to play when he was one...

Especially it would be extremely interesting to hear what a really good tabla player have to say about the learning experience...

I am just curious....

Reply with quote  #2 
Its about your love and passion for the instrument... and also the amount of practice u put in!
mbsobat

Reply with quote  #3 
Tabla is Riazat! You have to love to play Tabla and if you love it you will practice, practice and practice.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #4 
to my knowledge, there are no master tabla players who started learning late in life. of course, it is a lifelong journey, but to become a master you would really need to start learning as a child. look at anubrata chatterjee or aditya kalyanpur. they are only in their early 20s and already ahead of 99% all of us. not to mention rimpa siva....

i would compare it to learning a language. those who have learned from childhood speak natively. those who have come from another country speak with an accent that almost never truly disappears.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #5 
Look on the bright side!
The longer the road the more obstacles you're likely to encounter. Between the latecomers and the precocious few I'll bet there are a larger percentage of the old folks still with it than those who started early and eventually faded.

A.

Reply with quote  #6 
Also its not like soccer, in which you start losing the edge once you cross 36. Many great players played well in to their late 70's. Even if you start in late 20's and early thirties and then put 20 years of riyaaz. After that you still will have 25 years to play it at a very good level.

Reply with quote  #7 
Obviously, as a beginner, I am no expert in the field of Tabla, specifically. However, to paraphrase Hazrat Inayat Khan:

Just as the gemstone must first be cut and shaped before it can shine, so must the musician be cut and shaped by the experiences of his/her life.

I.E. If you are older than the average beginner tabla player (or beginner anything, for that matter) you may bring in (life) experience and spiritual depth a quality to your music that younger players may lack, though perhaps they may have greater technical mastery, etc.
Absolute beginner

Reply with quote  #8 
I met a few tabla players that are pretty amazing , and started out in their twenties , nobody really famous but some good musicians , and very devoted to music and tabla , I would even dare imagine there are some of those right here in this forum.
Tabla aside , Pdt. Hariprasad started learning music in his twenties , say no more.
RevolvingSound

Reply with quote  #9 
I dont believe it matters at all. Where is your heart? Practice practice. I am convinced anyone can play tabla well, if they really want to. When mentioning some of the great masters and when they started playing we have to remmeber it doent hurt if you have past experiences as a musician.
sim90

Reply with quote  #10 
So what would someone that started playing tabla late have that people who play from a young age dont???
:?: :?
sim90

Reply with quote  #11 
http://66.139.254.145/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=265

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.