INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mysteryofmusic

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, I've been searching on internet for tabla loops for practicing the tans/gats with my sitar. I'm very surprised that there's no audio loops with tin taal, rupak taal, etc. I previously had SwarShala downloaded free for Windows, but there's no free for Mac. Currently I don't have credit card to buy it online. Does anyone knows a free alternative? Some audio loops recorded that I can loop inside a audio software/player?
What do you use for practicing gat/tans?
Many thanks. Kind regards.
JazzMathias

Reply with quote  #2 
iTablaPro is the shit! http://upasani.org/home/iTablaPro.html

So if you have an iPhone go for it. We use it at class, but i only have an android phone, so i don't use it at home, but i'm waiting eagerly for it.

/Mathias
mysteryofmusic

Reply with quote  #3 
Mathias, thanks for your answer. I'm sure iTabla does very well. Seems very good. But for now I don't have credit card to buy it so I need a free alternative for MacOSX or just plain audio loops at different speeds so I can make them loop and practice along.
Thanks anyway and keep waiting for more answers. I'm surprised nobody recorded simple tabla loops on the internet.
gillo

Reply with quote  #4 
I bought this just for a change from itabla pro, there is a mac desktop demo version in which you get a few minutes before it cuts out... there's also a demo version for iphone etc...
http://www.itabla.com/en/iTabla_Desktop_Edition_for_computer.html
cunparis

Reply with quote  #5 
How does iTabla Desktop compare to the iTable Pro for iPhone? I have an iPhone and I'm debating if I prefer to have it on my iPhone or desktop. I usually play near my computer so it'd be nicer having it on the PC I think. but the iPhone app is much cheaper.
mysteryofmusic

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi, thanks to all for your answers, but since for now I can't use a credit card for buying software on internet, paid software is not to consider at the moment and since I want to practice seriously, demo versions aren't valid either. I just managed to get some tintal recordings.
gillo

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cunparis"
How does iTabla Desktop compare to the iTable Pro for iPhone? I have an iPhone and I'm debating if I prefer to have it on my iPhone or desktop. I usually play near my computer so it'd be nicer having it on the PC I think. but the iPhone app is much cheaper.
it doesn't seem to offer a great deal more in terms of variety of thekkas or tanpuras (maybe a few extra styles in each taal - I haven't explored it deeply yet), but does have different variations and sounds so it makes a change, I prefer working on the computer screen with lots of saved presets and my laptop is already hooked up to the speakers... but if I had to choose I go with iTablaPro (Prasad Upasani mentioned once that he was considering a desktop version).
Are you happy to put your phone into flight mode each time you practice?
cunparis

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "gillo"
it doesn't seem to offer a great deal more in terms of variety of thekkas or tanpuras (maybe a few extra styles in each taal - I haven't explored it deeply yet), but does have different variations and sounds so it makes a change, I prefer working on the computer screen with lots of saved presets and my laptop is already hooked up to the speakers... but if I had to choose I go with iTablaPro (Prasad Upasani mentioned once that he was considering a desktop version).
Thanks for the feedback. The iTable Desktop version is much more expensive so I'll probably start with the iPhone app. I tried my iPhone with the headphone out into my PC's line in and it sounded through the speakers ok. I also want to be able to record it so I can make mp3's of my flute playing.

I am used to using airplane mode on my iPhone, my kids even know how to do it and are required to do that before playing games. I once found some expensive phone calls on my phone due to these free kids' games.
gillo

Reply with quote  #9 
If you use a PC Riyaz Studio is good too...
cunparis

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
If you use a PC Riyaz Studio is good too...
I have the demo of Riyaz but unfortunately it doesn't allow one to hear the tablas in the demo and my email to the author went unanswered.
mysteryofmusic

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
I work with my computer all day so for practice, if I don't need anything else than tanpura, I use Tanpura Droid on my Android cellphone (speakers cable is very long, flexible and easy to change) to let the computer rest and let ME rest of it. The point is that while not always in airplane mode, I sometimes consider it to help concentrate. I think it's an important point in practice trying to be free of distractions.
Best regards.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.