INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
taal

Reply with quote  #1 
As you all are aware, Tabla/Pakhawaj is an integral part of Dance in same way language is essential to literature. There can’t be dance without tabla.
For beautiful information on involvement of tabla in dance, kathak itself, please see following film of FDI web site. It is in English and is in colour.
One can hear numerous compositions (paranas), bol parans, stuti parans (remember Ganesh Paran by Kishan Maharaj?) etc. actually being played, recited and danced at the same time in this film. It also gives some insight on involvement of Indian philosophy in development of ICM/Dance. There is also rare footage of Shambhu Maharaj.
Lot of tabla to hear! A genuine treasure!

http://www.filmsdivision.org:8080/fromrecreate/jsp/rsSearchServlet?command=search-on-param&category=&director=&year=&title=Kathak&keyword=

For those further interested, they also can see a film on Pandit Birju Maharajji himself, but unfortunately it is in Hindi and is black/white.

nautchwali

Reply with quote  #2 
Which movie has footage of Shambhu Maharaji?
taal

Reply with quote  #3 
Shambhu Maharaj is seen in the film above with link. He is singing in that clip.
nautchwali

Reply with quote  #4 
Okay, yes, I originally ended up just on the search page and with keyword "kathak" found I think five movies. But now I found Shambhu Maharaji - he's doing seated abhinaya near the end. This is indeed rare footage - thank you so much for posting the link.

Be well,
Nautchwali
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Namaste all fellow lovers of dance here.

I think our original post means one can't have KATHAK without tabla. South Indian dances don't tend to use tabla but regional drums or mridangam.

I had a year's Kathak training under Alpana Sen-Gupta in London many years ago. I decided, even though I knew North Indian music far better than South, that I would go for Bharatanatyam in which I did 6 & half years with my guru Shakuthala ( Sheila Cove). Her guru was BalaSundari who trained at Kalakshetra in Madras in the 1950s.

I have several Birju Maharaj performances from UK TV including a 30 min special from BBC2 where he's being interviewed by Nahid Siddiqui as well as dancing with Saswati Sen. There is NO comparison for this man's genius anywhere, I feel. I met him in the early 80s in London when he was doing a round of concerts & saw him 3 times in 2 weeks there.

DoorDarshan have been releasing several dance VCDs of archive material. I picked up the Bharatanatyam one as well as the Kathak which has Lacchu Maharaj describing a small piece & also B M playing tabla for Gopi Krishna. There's also part of a ballet B M did too on it.

Nick
nautchwali

Reply with quote  #6 
No argument here - I don't think you can have much at all in North Indian music without tabla or pakhawaj.

Interesting, from the idea of trying out drum rudiments on the tabla - the basic tatkar footwork pattern in kathak is a paradiddle shifted one beat:
R L R L - L R L R

And kran is like a flam!

The other really fascinating link between Kathak and Tabla is what brought me into Kathak in the first place - the bols. That a dance has compositions using oral notation that a knowledgable tabla player can then play is unique. The same "notes" as it were mean both sound and movement.

Be well!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 

Very true. Unless it's an alaap or something, there's always seems to be something missing.

I was told 'Dance is Music set to movement'.

Nick
SurTaal

Reply with quote  #8 
Taal,

Thanks for posting this wonderful link. The seated Abhinaya was incredible!

No doubt that tabla and kathak became interdependent. Aspiring tabla players would often go to kathak dancers for instruction. In the Birju Maharaj clip you will see him play tabla with clarity and power.

SurTaal
shen

Reply with quote  #9 
Is that last dancer Durga Lal?

I've seen Durga Lal on video once before and was totally stunned - the only time until now, which makes me think it must also be Durga Lal...

Does anybody know a way of downloading and storing this video?

My websites:
http://www.ethnosuperlounge.com
shenflindell.blogspot.com
shenweb.blogspot.com
nautchwali

Reply with quote  #10 
I think (think) it is Gopi Krishna. Judging from the age of the other participants (Shambhu Maharaj, Damayanti Joshi and so on), Durga Lal would have been too young. I agree he was a fantastic dancer, though. If you get a change to see him, the current Rajasthani virtuoso is Rajendra Gangani. I just saw him dance in San Francisco and I was almost on the floor.
kalpitpandya

Reply with quote  #11 
The Doordarshan archive has released couple of VCDs, one of which has Gopi kishan with Durga prasad and Birju Maharaj of pakhawaj and tabla respectively. this is a short piece but worth having. THis VCD includes several Kathat artists including Durga lal, Birju Maharaj...

kalpit
eyeofnewt

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Is that last dancer Durga Lal?

I've seen Durga Lal on video once before and was totally stunned - the only time until now, which makes me think it must also be Durga Lal...
Nope, its not Pandit Durgalal, who happens to be one of my all time favorite male kathak exponents. The only male dancer featured in the documentary is Sudarshan Dheer. He's in both the gat bhav and Kaliya Mardan (finale) sequences. Actually, several of the tracks featured in this documentary including the opening number ("Pashupati Girijapati"), gat and Kaliya Mardan are all on a vinyl Dheer released in the 1970s called Fundamentals of Kathak Dance. My kathak guru happened to have a copy on tape.
Quote:
Does anybody know a way of downloading and storing this video?
If you're running a Mac, its very easy to download. Just go to Kathak documentary page and let the video load. (Anyone else notice the film is erroneously subtitled The Dance of the South? lol)

With Firefox if you have the Flip4Mac component installed, the video automatically downloads and opens in Quicktime (File > Save As). Alternatively, if you use Safari make sure you have Adobe flash installed and open the page. After the video begins loading click the little drop down arrow in the bottom right hand corner and save as a .mov file.
eyeofnewt

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "taal"
One can hear numerous compositions (paranas), bol parans, stuti parans (remember Ganesh Paran by Kishan Maharaj?) ...
These "stuti parans" are known as chhand in kathak and are very numerous. Most of the ones I know focus on Lord Krishna, Shiv or Ganesh. There is a track on Sitara Devi's Kathak Dance of India record called "Bhav Parangaha" which features three such parans. You can listen to it at http://gaana.com/song/sitara-devi-kathak-dance-of-india/bhav-parangaha-37346
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.