INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
JahBang

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi. My guruji of 11 years gets very upset when I share with him stuff that I find on YouTube. He thinks that I should only learn stuff that he gives me. (Farrukabad ghurana).And he says things like "in my day there was no YouTube" he says that it will effect my learning in a negative way. I very much enjoy learning some of the stuff that I find on Youtube. 
What do you think of this? Is he being old fashioned ? Can it really have a negative effect? 
saurav2614

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi JahBang
so you have been learning Tabla (Farrukabad ghurana) for 11 years, good job man!! Keep it up.  
(I am just ordinary a Tabla lover and no way I am an expert)To answer your questions....
1) Few years ago I read an interview (online portal) of Ustad Tari Khan and he said something like " One Tabla player should have only one Guru, like a man has one father"  
   There were plenty of comments on the page after the interview and one Tabla Player said (as far as I can remember) that Zakir Ji studied/ learned multiple Gharana's from more than one Guru and     that was why he was considered a complete Tabla player. 

2) I saw video of Pandit Sankha Chatterjeee (you will find it in youtube, there are 3 parts ) where he mentioned that he learnt form Ustad Keramat Ullah Khan Shabe for many many years. Then he went to Ustad AllahRekha Khan Shabeb and learnt for many many years too. Pandit Ji explained few kaydas that are similar in both Gharanas but he also explained the subtle differences. Watch it and I am sure you will love it.   

** what I want to say is that all the above mentioned persons(Ust Tari Sab, Ustad Zakir sab, Pt Sankha Ji) are great players in their own fields.

I hope other members will also share their thoughts re this topics. 

Thanks
Saurav

gatabera

Reply with quote  #3 
The Guru-Shishya relationship is a very important relationship to learn the tabla properly and I think most hardcore classical artistes would advise you to listen to your Guru. It is truly a blessing to even have a Guru to learn from, especially if you don't live in India. With that said I think that in this modern age there are so many avenues to learn anything. YouTube offers a wealth of information, but it's possible that what you learn on YouTube could conflict with what your Guru says. It may also take time away from practicing what your Guru has taught you. I think that may be the concern. My advise is to focus on the teachings of your Guru and still be open to learn somethings from YouTube, but if you share these things with your Guru you would risk offending him and hindering your Guru-Shishya relationship. Of course ultimately whatever you choose to do it's your personal choice.
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #4 
If you are expert in Farrukabad ghurana and know everything about Tabla techniques then there is no harm in learning and playing material from YouTube.

As you must be knowing, Gharana is basically a technique of playing Tabla, every Gharana has its own techniques and material.

To master this technique we practice everyday.

But if you are not master of particular technique, and if you are tempted to play music of other or same Gharana just by listening then you are actually deviating your focus from mastering what you are learning from Guru. Such temptation may hamper your progress.

If you read experiences of many great artists, one experience is common to all, .i.e “for many years my Guru taught me xyz Raga & nothing else”.

I remember Pt. Yogesh Samsi sharing his experience about learning from Abbaji (U. Alla Rakhaa), for many years Abbaji taught compositions of only “Ti Ta” & nothing else. But if you see today, Pt. Yogesh Samsi is one of the great tabla player of Panjab Gharana.

So if you are not master yet then playing compositions just by listening will definitely affect your progress negatively.
dhatitdha

Reply with quote  #5 
I found one of my old article which is relevant for this topic, please refer below link

"A Temptation Every Music Student Should Avoid"
http://vishwamohini.com/music/music.php?id=189
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.