INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "deep"
Upendra,

I called you about the gajra issue immediately after I opened the box. (I inserted the gattas and got it tuned a week later). So it's not that my actions raised the gajra. BTW inserting gattas is a different ball game as against tuning it.

Now that you have established I don't know how to tune the tabla (just because I got a professional player do it for me) can you explain why the two tablas are so different from workmanship point of view? As a customer isn't it my right to expect good workmanship if I have paid for a professional tabla? I'm complaining only about the professional dayan not the regular one. So what went wrong there?

Like I said in my previous post, I need a solution & if your solution is make me wait for 6 months I'll do so and post my feedback 6 months later.
Deep
With the only exception that the Gajra was slightly raised at one place, the Pro Dayan was tuned perfectly and it sounds great, I had Sent you the A/V Clip of the same before shipping. Secondly you are actually comparing the sound of a 5.5/5.75" High Pitch dayan with 6.75" Dayan low pitch. Does it make any sense? I personally see nothing wrong with the Pro Dayan and so did the members too as what you can read from their posts.
Why dont you Post the A/V Clip of the 5.75" Pro dayan which I sent you before shipping it.
So that the forum members will judge the dayan and comment on it or should I do it to save your trouble?

Upendra
zennman

Reply with quote  #17 
I have had this problem when I've tried to rehead my tablas before, and had this issue on my current practice set (bought from Kalakendar). If the height feels really offensive, you could try hammering down the gajra a little, but it doesn't seem like too much of a rise. Between pulls, gajra insertions and hammer strokes, you should be able to get it looking better and sounding fine (mine settled in over a few months). While you are learning to tune the drum, perhaps you could ask your teacher to see if he can lower the gajra for you... and also ask for his opinion on how it might affect the sound if left as is.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #18 
I looked at the pics again a few times and the spot on the right *from the photo* does not really appear to be that high.

I have tried what Zemman suggests and it works. The trick from my experience is always keep that raised spot in tune. The moment it gets out of tune, retune the whole tabla ensuring a balance across all points.

Like Zemman, I don't recommend this approach on a good set unless you know how to tune the puppy!Ask your teacher or a friend who knows how to tune and they will definitely help you. Again from the pics, I don't think you will need to wait for months or take the drastic approached I had suggested in my earlier post. Best case, you are talking about weeks as long as you play on it and keep it in tune always. Good Luck!
anandvyas

Reply with quote  #19 
I have seen this on many tablas - I won't play them unless re headed or changed because is simply "hurts" a bit too much and is very uncomfortable. To high period. No one did this on purpose I am sure - but In my humble opinion it is a bit too high. And no it will NEVER "sink" down to the level you would like. Again I have seen this on about 15 percent of the tablas I've seen or played and even had one in which the Gajri was touching my palm - irritating and worse leads to bad technique. Maybe find a side of the rim that is not so high?
Finally - no one is accusing anyone of doing anything on purpose... This is not personal, but professional courtesy... Most everyone on this forum knows that this Gajra (in the picture) is simply too high. We also know that many of us have played on many tablas with this exact same problem - do we still play on these or do we indeed "find another pair" and/or fix the problem. Again this is not personal or an accusation but this tabla is indeed in need of "work". It may sound Beautiful when re-headed who knows - I imagine it would being the professional series - but lets not pretend it is simply okay, and tell this poor fellow to simply "play through it" and/or judge his playing or tuning abilities based on a simple observation. That seems unduly defensive, and why... This is an information Forum - TRUE information... Not the watered down "it will all be fine, just smile and play" things you find elsewhere on the internet. That is why I come here. 13 or so years ago I got my book Fundamentals of Tabla by Pandit David Courtney... 4 years later people were asking me my style and who I learned from - one of these people was Ustad Hasmant Ali Khan (Ustad Akram Khan's father) at the Poonam Palace hotel when I was taking a private lesson in the Ustad's room before a concert at the Saptak Archives. I told him about the Book and Pandit Courtney - he was astonished and very impressed by Pandit Courtney's teaching methods - and this through a book!!!
Wow what an aside - sorry for leaving the topic and I would cut this if I believed in "self censorship" - I do not. I wrote so it stays. Doing otherwise, I believe would be cheating myself and others. I hope I have not offended anyone's sensibilities - I understand that most everyone on this forum has a good grasp on this music but what are we here for if not to relate our experiences in this life that have to do with Indian Classical Music. Anyway, I tribute Pandit David Courtney as my first official teacher on the Tabla - maybe even this music... He did this through a book. I recommend this book to anyone that is serious about the tabla. Maybe i need to check the subject of this thread again
Greg

Reply with quote  #20 
It seems I may have to retract my apology.... ops:
sohummusicals

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "anandvyas"
I have seen this on many tablas - I won't play them unless re headed or changed because is simply "hurts" a bit too much and is very uncomfortable. To high period. No one did this on purpose I am sure - but In my humble opinion it is a bit too high. And no it will NEVER "sink" down to the level you would like. Again I have seen this on about 15 percent of the tablas I've seen or played and even had one in which the Gajri was touching my palm - irritating and worse leads to bad technique. Maybe find a side of the rim that is not so high?
Finally - no one is accusing anyone of doing anything on purpose... This is not personal, but professional courtesy... Most everyone on this forum knows that this Gajra (in the picture) is simply too high. We also know that many of us have played on many tablas with this exact same problem - do we still play on these or do we indeed "find another pair" and/or fix the problem. Again this is not personal or an accusation but this tabla is indeed in need of "work". It may sound Beautiful when re-headed who knows - I imagine it would being the professional series - but lets not pretend it is simply okay, and tell this poor fellow to simply "play through it" and/or judge his playing or tuning abilities based on a simple observation. That seems unduly defensive, and why... This is an information Forum - TRUE information... Not the watered down "it will all be fine, just smile and play" things you find elsewhere on the internet. That is why I come here. 13 or so years ago I got my book Fundamentals of Tabla by Pandit David Courtney... 4 years later people were asking me my style and who I learned from - one of these people was Ustad Hasmant Ali Khan (Ustad Akram Khan's father) at the Poonam Palace hotel when I was taking a private lesson in the Ustad's room before a concert at the Saptak Archives. I told him about the Book and Pandit Courtney - he was astonished and very impressed by Pandit Courtney's teaching methods - and this through a book!!!
Wow what an aside - sorry for leaving the topic and I would cut this if I believed in "self censorship" - I do not. I wrote so it stays. Doing otherwise, I believe would be cheating myself and others. I hope I have not offended anyone's sensibilities - I understand that most everyone on this forum has a good grasp on this music but what are we here for if not to relate our experiences in this life that have to do with Indian Classical Music. Anyway, I tribute Pandit David Courtney as my first official teacher on the Tabla - maybe even this music... He did this through a book. I recommend this book to anyone that is serious about the tabla. Maybe i need to check the subject of this thread again
Dear Anand,
Deep purchased this pro dayan from me in June when he visited India for 3000Rs(around $70/-) The only Issue which Deep(Deepak) had was that the gajra was raised up at one point, It made him feel uncomfortable about it,which i admit is a Mistake on my side which rarely happens and is not spoken of most of the time.. Most of the Bombay Style Dayans have the Gajra Slightly higher than the Calcutta Style Dayans. He never had an Issue about the sound quality. He personally chatted with me yesterday and cleared about the issue. And the Inconsistency which he was talking about was because the tabla got offtuned. A Tabla Getting off tuned is a common thing. He met his teacher yesterday and got it tuned again.
This Issue was raise too high for no reason. Higher than the gajra Itself
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Greg"
It seems I may have to retract my apology.... ops:
Greg, I dont care whether you apologize or talk about any nonsense, It hardly matters to me because most of the members know me personally and not just tried my tablas but loved them.

Upendra
anandvyas

Reply with quote  #22 
Yes Upendra-Ji your tablas are very good I agree. I have played a pair I believe came from you and I agree that most here have deep respect for you and your instruments.

Sincerely
Anand Vyas
http://www.anandvyas.org
deep

Reply with quote  #23 
I did talk to my teacher about it and he suggested to keep playing and according to him the gajra will come down slowly but not as much as the one in the middle (regular dayan). Bombay skins being very thick do not allow this to happen.

I had a brief chat with Upendra and as per his craftsman the gajra could have been pulled little further which he missed during making of this tabla. He suggested few things such as removing all gattas and hitting on the gajra to lower it. I will try it and hope for the best.

I also got it tuned by my teacher and it plays just fine. I'll just avoid the raised gajra part.

Hope future buyers have learnt something out of this episode. Cheers!
zennman

Reply with quote  #24 
Best wishes, Deep. (I remember how mad I was when the first tabla I ordered from India was not to my liking (it was a different well known supplier, but I thought one was poorly made, and one came with the head torn). I burned up the forum here myself. I know the feeling. We do take a little bit of risk buying unseen, but most of the suppliers are very professional and considerate in addressing complaints). Removing gattas before hitting the gajra is the best way. Just a little, and maybe again in 2 months or so. Happy practice!
annamalayaar

Reply with quote  #25 
i've bought a set professional from upendra 1 month ago..it is really good and there are not problems.....
No amount of learning can teach one to give up the ego.The best course is to catch hold of what is real, without any support.He who is fully conscious is really God. He is the real nature of one's own true state.The experience is silence,it cannot speak.
Yogesh

Reply with quote  #26 
Its simply the issue of your lack of practice and the way you have played. Play with your fingers with the support of wrist and raise your hand so the palm does not touch the gajra. You need to practice more. Watch Pt Samta Prasad's video clips on You tube for style.
Terry1234

Reply with quote  #27 
That slight elevation of right side isn't much of a problem, I have a Vhaktar with the same problem. With time it will go down.
pritpalsingh

Reply with quote  #28 
i need professional tabla skins somebody please PM if have thanks oh yes the sizez are: 2 x 51/2's 3 x 5 1/2 tabla skin i am willing to pay 100 dollars for these 5 skins with shipping included
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.