INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Acelga

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi people.
I just saw this book/ app for the iPhone. It costs about 7$, which is quite expensive for a book, and considering the amount of crap that one can find in the appstore regarding the name "tabla", I just wanted to know if this worths the money. Someone here tried it? Is it interesting? I also find that the word "advanced" can mean nothing. :|
The link:
http://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/tabla-for-advanced-students/id331029356?mt=8
Regards.
Jhaptal

Reply with quote  #2 
Haven't got it but Sadanandji is an incredible player. I can't help but think there will be plenty of valuable information in it.
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #3 
I have the paper version of this book. It is a very good book and is indeed for advanced students.

Listed below are some attributes in my opinion. Before I give my review, I feel compelled to say that, I have met Sadanand Ji, watched him perform and I keep a very high regard for him, but I have no bias' when I give this review. The review below is completely unbiased and only reflects my opinion of the book as a consumer.

Pro:
A very good, authentic collection of compositions in various popular and uncommon taals.
Well organized
Excellent composition coverage and well balanced across, Peshkar Kaida, Chalan, Gath, Rela, Rav, Pdanth Chakradhars.
Excellent composition coverage across gharana's
Edited and proofed very well for errors, organization and presentation

Con:
This is personal to me. With all due respect, I just cannot follow Sadanand Ji's English notation of the compositions very easily. I understand it, but the apostrophes with the UPPER/lower case combination just comes in my way, confuses me and distracts me. This does not mean I would not recommend this book or I don't refer to it. What I do, I take a composition from his book and rewrite it my way first in Devnagri or English.

Comments:
Once again, this is not a book for someone who will turn around and ask how to play ghidnag or dhiridhirkittak or Dhineginetak. Nor is this book for someone who will turn around and ask if the tak in a given phrase is resonant or non-resonant. You are on your own and its expected that you not only know the motions behind the phrases, but the aesthetic nuances of the phrase within the context of the composition or the gharana.

I would highly recommend this book for advanced students. This book is definitely in my top five list of "real" books on Tabla. I believe this book should be in every tabla student's library.
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #4 
I don't have the advanced student book but I do have the first book. I would echo what is said above. In fact, to call it confusing is IMO charitable. Honestly, the English notation couldn't be more confusing and difficult to interpret if someone tried to make it confusing from the outset.
If one is able to get past that, the first book is also very good and I am sure so is the second.

Protest Warrior sign.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi and thanks for your comments.
After reading them, I decided to give the book a chance, but I am now certainly disappointed. I think the import (export?) to the iPod was not properly done, and I find in my book strange things like that in the image attached. It

Attached Images
jpeg Photo dic 06, 3 32 13 p.m..jpg (49.66 KB, 2 views)

Jhaptal

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes it's a bit of a mess, but the composition is straight forward enough.
19 Matras.jpg I agree this should have been tested or maybe it was who knows. I thinks these compositions might be worth writing out in your own hand.
No one said it would be easy
Hope this helps.

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #7 
To be fair, there may be two issues here. 1. Rendering on an iPhone. 2. Notations themselves.
Acelga

Reply with quote  #8 
@Jhaptal. Yes it helped. Many thanks. Maybe that was not the best example of the confusing compositions, because it seems to be a theka for some 19 beats Taal, so is somehow plain and the numbers are on their own. I will post some other compositions that I can
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"
@Bhagi: You said you have the first book: is there the notation well explained?
Not really but the bols(what to play on the tabla when that particular phrase is written) are explained.

Protest Warrior sign.
tablataal

Reply with quote  #10 
I too was disappointed. Honestly its unusable in its current state.

1) Messed up alignment as the screenshot shows
2) Screen too small

at least if this version had some accompanying audio recordings it would have been worth it, but currently as it stands its a waste of money. Sorry to be blunt.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.