INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
In an interview Zakir Hussain spoke about his father Alla Rakha, and emphasized the point that throughout his life he always had a very child-like playful spirit that seems to me nicely captured in this "groovy" 60's painting of Alla Rakha from an old LP I have.

http://imageshack.us/a/img826/943/allarakha.jpg

Moreover this playful spirit is also nicely captured in this short percussion ensemble led by Alla Rakha composed for Ravi Shankar's 1964 vinyl record "Portrait of a Genius". I transferred this from an LP several years ago, and you still hear the needle as it plops down on the record!

enjoy!

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #2 
That album cover doesn't match the recording.
I bought that album about 25 to 30 years ago(for about $5). That particular album has U. Alla Rakha playing tabla solo in 3 taals.

Protest Warrior sign.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bhagi"
I bought that album about 25 to 30 years ago(for about $5). That particular album has U. Alla Rakha playing tabla solo in 3 taals.
Do note that as I wrote above, Alla Rakha performed this piece for Ravi Shankar's vinyl LP "Portrait of a Genius". (which I own).

I did not explicitly name the LP above since it is evidently named "Alla Rakha: Tabla". Hence a different LP. (which I also own).

I guess I did not make clear that two vinyl LPs are involved here.

In any case, to my way of thinking, the recording certainly matches the "spirit" of the picture above, would you not agree?

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #4 
Yes some nice dhatete stuff I liked -
Enjoyed your funky colourful animation too Pascal - you're getting good at this !!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Yes some nice dhatete stuff I liked -
Enjoyed your funky colourful animation too Pascal - you're getting good at this !!
Just a bit of light hearted stuff ... I really should be practicing tabla instead!

PB

Bhagi

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Quote:
Do note that as I wrote above, Alla Rakha performed this piece for Ravi Shankar's vinyl LP "Portrait of a Genius". (which I own).

I did not explicitly name the LP above since it is evidently named "Alla Rakha: Tabla". Hence a different LP. (which I also own).

I guess I did not make clear that two vinyl LPs are involved here.

In any case, to my way of thinking, the recording certainly matches the "spirit" of the picture above, would you not agree?

Pascal
Yes it really does. Thanks for posting it. The tabla solos that are in the LP pictured are really good. The dadra is really good.

Protest Warrior sign.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"

Pascal
Yes it really does. Thanks for posting it. The tabla solos that are in the LP pictured are really good. The dadra is really good.
Unfortunately I've not heard those pieces on that LP in years since I never go around to recording them on my computer, and I'm not sure I have a working turn-table anymore! Would you by chance have those digitized? I'd love to hear the dadra.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.