INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Borbafett

Reply with quote  #1 
Curious if anyone has tried modifying a dayan to replicate the timbre/sound of a Mridangam?

Thanks!
proxmire

Reply with quote  #2 
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #3 
1) I may have missed it but I failed to find any relevance of the previous link to the posted topic.
2) One way is to have a mridangam head mounted on a tabla. I had such a dayan many years ago.
3) a temporary approach is to take a portion of a toothpick, cut it down to about 2 cm-3 cm and place it at a particular point between the chat and th maidan. It should just be touching the syahi. If it is placed correctly it will give the dayan a mridangam like quality.
Borbafett

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "david"
1) I may have missed it but I failed to find any relevance of the previous link to the posted topic.
2) One way is to have a mridangam head mounted on a tabla. I had such a dayan many years ago.
3) a temporary approach is to take a portion of a toothpick, cut it down to about 2 cm-3 cm and place it at a particular point between the chat and th maidan. It should just be touching the syahi. If it is placed correctly it will give the dayan a mridangam like quality.
I can't find the time stamp, but he mentions the extra dayan sounding like a Mridangam.

What is the standard size of a Mridangam head?

Thanks!
swarmanttra

Reply with quote  #5 
We are normally use big diameter Tabla called as "DHALYA" for producing sound like Mrudinga.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.