INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Arjav Rawal

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone,

Around 2 years ago, I was practicing tabla and accidentally left everything out, tuning hammer included, when I went downstairs to go eat dinner with my family and my cousins who were visiting.

During dinner, my 5-year-old cousin snuck upstairs and saw the tabla and started looking at how to play it. He used the tuning hammer on the bayan and put a small tiny rip into the top. In the dayan some of the tuning blocks were taken out and I'm not having a very easy time putting them back.

I found the same fate with my mridangam, which was completely ripped through on the bayan side.

I am a complete beginner with both instruments, and rarely had touched them to begin with. I am more of a vocalist and guitarist than a tabla player.

Does anyone know of someone in the Bay Area who could help me out with repairs/replacements, etc? I would prefer not to use AACM as the drive is too far to San Rafael for me, as well as the fact that there is almost no space in my car to fit either bag.

I'll post pictures of the damage on this thread later today when I return home.

Thanks!

PS: Please feel free to bash me for not acting sooner on the issue. It was my negligence alone.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Arjav,

Where in the Bay are you? Musician's Mall US (formerly the Ali Akbar College Music Store) in Berkeley could likely help you out with both your tabla and mridangam, either just with new pudi or also with re-heading/balancing labor. 

Here's there website. They're just outside of Downtown Berkeley, and are really nice folks. 

https://www.musiciansmallusa.com/
Arjav Rawal

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by talamala
Hi Arjav,

Where in the Bay are you? Musician's Mall US (formerly the Ali Akbar College Music Store) in Berkeley could likely help you out with both your tabla and mridangam, either just with new pudi or also with re-heading/balancing labor. 

Here's there website. They're just outside of Downtown Berkeley, and are really nice folks. 

https://www.musiciansmallusa.com/

Dublin. I knew AACM had a store near Shattuck Ave (got my harmonium fixed there a few times before) but I'd heard they were closing. Didn't know they just renamed. The gentleman there who repaired the harmonium for me (Kalyan, I think his name was) was very helpful and did a splendid job replenishing it! It was damaged quite severely on the flight from Ahmedabad to San Fran and it was good as new when he was done! Thanks for sharing! I'll check it out.

I'll also post photos in my next post for anyone interested in inspecting the damage [smile]

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.