INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mrahul

Reply with quote  #1 
I have been learning tabla for about 4 years now. Recently, I have accompanied a few friends for vocal and instrumental ensembles in small community events. Although I am pretty much a primary student of tabla, I would like to share some experience (my 2 cents) and also seek advice for further improvement.

The first thing I realised that playing solo tabla and giving accompaniment are 2 different ball games. I felt that the challenges in each are different. No matter how many kaidas & tukdas you know, giving accompaniment, I found, is a completely different experience. The main challenges in my experience are:
(1) Anticipating what the main artist is going to sing or play
(2) To reach quickly and play tabla to suit what the main artist is playing - eg. a prakar or laggi to match the weight ('vajan') of the vocalist's words or notes.

At this stage, I mainly stick to playing the theka and put in some variation/tihayi if I am sure it is coming at the right place. I play correctly and am able to maintain timing so I guess I at least don't become a nuisance to the main artist. But I also feel that a little more variety will make the overall performance more interesting. It often happens that I do anticipate what is coming but I cannot think quick enough what sort of variation to play and have to end up just continuing with the theka. It is only after I listen to the recording a couple of times that I realise that a particular tihayi or prakar would have been apt for this place!

If I have enough time to practice with the artists, I make it a point to record, listen to the recording, identify the places where prakars could be introduced and implement it in the subsequent practices or the performance. However, I tend to play sort of... 'defensive' tabla if I am not sufficiently familiar with the piece.

Well, this is sharing a bit of my experience. I would be interested in knowing if this sort of experience is common at the beginner stage. I would also appreciate tips on whether there is any specific way to practice from the point of giving accompaniment. I tried to play bandishes from CDs and play tabla on them (as it playing on a lehra). However, that does not work so well as there is already the sound of tabla that plays on the CD. Any advice, tips would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.