INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Proxmire1

Reply with quote  #1 

This is the first one i have heard that sounds good. Just a plastic head with no kinar and a syahi. I wouldnt use it as a main drum, but great for tabla tarang because plastic stays in tune. I am ordering some syahi masala from sohum and perhaps will experiment with this kind of thing.

Btw, anyone had any success with the syahi repair kit from sohum?
gatabera

Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds great. Who is the maker? 
Proxmire1

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatabera
Sounds great. Who is the maker? 

No idea. All i could find was the 5 sefond video, the poster has no other videos or an explanation. Looks to be just a simple key tuned bongo with thin head and a syahi. I am going to try to copy it, but it will take time to get it right if ever. Its amazing though how it sounds.
Prithvi Shenoy

Reply with quote  #4 
http://www.karunyamusicals.com/

I just came across this synthetic tabla manufacturer. The sound samples on their website are amazing. I don't like the looks of the tabla so much though
Zoravar

Reply with quote  #5 
i guess u can't play a 'ti' on the kinar?
joshrudolph

Reply with quote  #6 

Been considering getting one of these sets since way back when the samples of the tabla version went up on Karunya's site... I was curious if it was for real, because they did sound amazing, plus I've always wanted a decent sounding lighter set for travel (not to mention a synthetic one that seems capable of holding up outside and maybe even surviving light spills on the syahi). 

Finally made the order. It got to my house (BC, Canada) about 10 days after ordering. Wow, I'm impressed. Agreed: not going to be the best looking drums in my rack... But the tone is amazing, and it plays well (disclaimer: I've only played it for about 15 mins so far). Don't think it quite competes with a top-of-the-line daya (Mukta Das/H Vhatkar), but it has a nice solid 5 second sustain and a full sound. Definitely worth the money (ended up costing me about USD300 all in).

I'll try to record a video, and also offer a more thorough review, after I get some time with the new drums.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.