INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
paulrottman

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello All,
I recently bought a beautiful Esraj on ebay. The bow it came with looks exactly like a violin or cello bow with horse hairs, and does not have that unique dilruba bow look. I had a cheap dilruba at one point that came with a bow that had synthetic hairs. Anyway, about 2 days after I got this instrument, I dropped the bow and cracked it. It still plays, but I don't know how long it's going to last with this major crack in it. Sure, I could glue it, but the bow looks and feels really cheap and I'd rather invest in a better quality bow. The only dilruba/esraj bows I can find for sale have synthetic hairs. I think, after playing with this horsehair bow, I prefer that over my old synthetic bow. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using synthetic hairs on the bow over a horsehair one? Thanks. -Paul
satwas

Reply with quote  #2 
Hello All,
I recently bought a beautiful Esraj on ebay. The bow it came with looks exactly like a violin or cello bow with horse hairs, and does not have that unique dilruba bow look. I had a cheap dilruba at one point that came with a bow that had synthetic hairs. Anyway, about 2 days after I got this instrument, I dropped the bow and cracked it. It still plays, but I don't know how long it's going to last with this major crack in it. Sure, I could glue it, but the bow looks and feels really cheap and I'd rather invest in a better quality bow. The only dilruba/esraj bows I can find for sale have synthetic hairs. I think, after playing with this horsehair bow, I prefer that over my old synthetic bow. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using synthetic hairs on the bow over a horsehair one? Thanks. -Paul
paulrottman

hi frend
i play dilruba 4 years
the only atwantage of syntetics is, that u tend to bee alone when u play ur instrumet
and its weather prove so if u have to play in rain the syntetics are best .
i startet with an bow braugt in kolkata there is the only good place to get them i will go there soon . i play with an dubbele bass bow .got it a 80 european bugs second hand in germany .and im happy with this .good subsitute is also saurangi bow but it tend to bee havy .u can find also bows withch are playd with middele age instrumens but the will cost sewal times more than ur esraj and dilruba together . but maby in anticke schop u can try, macke sure u have an good portion good luck in ur pocket . BTW how much did u pay 4 ur insument and is it good ?? bey
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.