INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ragamala

Reply with quote  #1 
An interesting (to me) subject cropped up in the scrapers' board - I thought the question arising was equally applicable to gourdheads.

For tuning purposes where do you pluck you taraf?

a) Towards the end
b) Near the middle
c) In the privacy of my own home
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Generally speaking, c! I have been known to pluck the tarb in public, but usually just at home...

But when tuning tarab strings, unless I'm lazy and don't go dig it out of my bag I usually use a sawed-off little bamboo skewer to aid in access and precision. I pluck it close to the eyelet, but not two close (maybe one or two frets away). For me its a compromise, you get a clearer, less strangled tone plucking towards the middle, but it also increases the odds of "string confusion" which can lead to string breakages if careless.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #3 
If I've just put on a new rack of strings, my pinky ends up right at each eyelet just to get the string up into general range. I can also inspect each eyelet to see if there is any glitch like string overlap, collision or wthatever. General tuning/ fine tuning is done in playing position or at least with the face of the neck perpendicular to the floor. As with the top strings, tuning baby face up will not keep the right notes when rotated to playing position. Pinky gets the job and it would sit right where it does when playing.

Reply with quote  #4 
Tabli perpendicular to the floor like playing, but with the dhandi resting on my knee.
My right pinky nail is @ 3/8" long specifically for tarab plucking so I just reach under the main strings over the gulu.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.