INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Register Calendar Latest Topics Chat

Author   Comment  
Chris Stephens

Reply with quote  #1 
Should the leg more toward the center of the tabli be shorter than the other one so the strings are flat? What is the best way to do jawari on the symp bridge, all the same angle or tapered more one side? My tarafs are not sounding and I'm wondering if it's because the bridge isnt flat but follows the angle of my tabli, which is more raised toward the middle. 
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
If the tabli is curved with a high spot in the middle it's possible the main bridge has sunk a bit which can happen as an instrument ages and will alter the jawari on your sympathetic bridge. A big part of good sympathetic response is the type and quality of the sitar body also. Be careful opening too much as it can get un-musical easily.

Some will shorten the leg on the outside (toward the chikaris) to make the surface curve flatter because of the increased angle of the higher sympathetics. If the bridge surface is flatter then it'll be more open but it should match the curvature of the tabli. If you want to play around try sliding a business card or two under the back 1/3 of the legs and check that way to see if changing the angle increases/decreases the response. Try different things, be aware that the strings will have a kink where they meet the slots and if you move the bridge at any other spot you'll have to change the strings first, the kinks can alter the sound. If it's just a few sympathetics and was working all right before you can try changing the phulia to make it a bit higher and flattening the angle of that particular string, lots of things you can do but it's tedious of course.

Lars

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.