INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #1 
Many of the sympathetic pegs on my sitar are a real pain to turn, making the tuning of those strings a jumpy and frustrating process. Though I assume the root of this problem lies in the construction process (drilling, peg selection, etc), is there anything I can do to make the pegs turn smoother? I should mention that these pegs have little, if any chalk on them. Much appreciation.

Cheers,
Tomek
povster

Reply with quote  #2 
It sounds like the pegs need "dressing" (hold the turkey!) Maybe the holes as well but I'd start with the pegs.

Actually I'd wait to see if Tony K comes on but in the meantime, pull out a taraf peg and brush it off with a brush if needed. Then look for shiny spots. These would be higher surfaces that are gripping but not allowing the whole peg to properly "seat". Start with a medium file (you don't want a coarse file or one too fine) and try to gently hit those high shiny spots first. Try to maintain a round motion, following the curvature of the peg. Don't take off too much.

Begin with just that and see if it makes a difference. If it does you can (and some may disagree here but I've done it successfully) take some medium grit (around 180-220) sandpaper and place it grit side up in your hand. Then just GENTLY rotate it up and down along the whole peg shaft. Basically you want to smooth things out a little bit, like a final dressing.

The key is not to be fierce but take off only a little bit at a time and then reseat the peg and see of it is better. Try it on one peg first before you go nuts with them all!

ssayan3

Reply with quote  #3 
This is an issue that I think everyone will have at some point or another; how to have proper control over turning the sympathetic pegs!

An idea you may want to try is a peg winder. It is a small tool that you can use specifically for sympathetic peg tuning.
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
An idea you may want to try is a peg winder. It is a small tool that you can use specifically for sympathetic peg tuning.
I have one on the way!
Quote:
Then look for shiny spots
Shiny spots all over! I have noticed these a looong time ago, and wondered if they might be linked to all the friction. I'll have a go at one of them and see what happens.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Tomek
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
The peg winder (called a Narka) is a good idea, but you do want to make sure the pegs are decently fit FIRST. Otherwise, the narka can put so much torque you can actually break the peg if it doesn't want to move.

I have been using one to aid in my hand recovery. It DOES make taraf tuning musch easier.

BUT - when you use one, do not put too much downward pressure. You can really way overtorque the peg with one of these so use them gently and they will reward you.

I brought my sitar a couple of times to my physical therapist. She whinced when she saw me tuning the pegs and said that twisty motion is very bad for the hands in general. So I will be using the narka probably for life.

Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Povster is dead on with the peg treatment. Must restate that the delicacy of the labor involved must be paramount (that's the coffee talking). Really, go ultra easy on this job! Pegs will start setting in deeper to the neck to the point that only the handles will be sticking up. " If in doubt - don't " ! Look at the peg holes as well. Nearly all the shops in this --- use a four sided taper that chatters the wood like a not so merry widow. Round ? ! - not even close!

Narkas - I'm not a big fan. The do the job if gently used. They often get used as a stop gap measure to get obstinate pegs to turn. The job gets done in the end but if the peg handle doesn't get broken off, that handle will end up looing like a doggiejis chew toy! A one bun trick would be to put on a sleeve of leather or similar on the peg handle before subjecting it to the whims of Narka the Terrible.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.