INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Honey

Reply with quote  #1 
Looking for either a Taus/ or Surbahar teacher near Manchester. I am based in Warrington.

My surbahar will be finished being made in 1 1/2 months; and I'd like a teacher. Ive had the taus for almost 2 years now, havent yet found a teacher. Been trying to learn off dilruba / esraj videos but as I learn by ear its extremely hard because of the obvious tuning differences between dilruba and taus.

Thanks!

Jason

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Honey,

Surbahar teachers are few and far between.  If you know of a particular style you enjoy and wish to learn, e.g., Dhrupad or Imdadkhani-Etawah Gharana, etc., try searching for a favorite artist's official website and see if they offer online lessons or have advanced students who teach in your area.  While online lessons may have limitations that live lessons do not, they may be the only way to begin learning the surbahar. 

Many will suggest that you have a good grasp of playing the sitar first before touching a surbahar due to the difficulty of the latter.  I took lessons online with Ustad Irshad Khan, the son of Ustad Imrat Khan (NFI).  While I began the lessons desperately wanting to learn the surbahar, based upon my level of experience we spent just about all of our time on the sitar.

- Jason
Honey

Reply with quote  #3 
Hmm, unfortunately my sitar (8 string 11 tarab) is in repair at the moment, it was on route to my friend Chris Dodderidge for full-setup when the courier lost the sitar, and 6 days late the sitar turned up with both padlocks removed from fiberglass case, and the dhandi extremely damaged. So unfortunately it happened, but fortunately its already where it needs to be for repair. 
Could be awhile before its restored fully.

I dont think I know enough to know a particular style from another. I loved Nikhil banerjee and the way he expressed his notes, and i'm not fond of the fast paced "faster is better" mentality that I hear in alot of other musicians. Ive enquired with lots of teachers so far and quite a few of them said "that they play the fastest" "look how fast I play" etc etc. Its not really for me. Tempo is obviously a tool we can use, increasing and decreasing to change things but I'd really love to learn to express alaap and raags in a way that compliment them and to understand them better than to follow a particular style?

I think I just don't know enough at this point. I would like to first learn the emotion and the way of the raag in its pure form.

musicslug

Reply with quote  #4 
while some question it, one version of the origin of surbahar is that it was invented for people who wanted to learn rudra vina but weren't allowed to because they weren't part of the vina lineages (vina was passed down through male descendants). looked at this way, surbahar is meant to play the music usually played on vina - i.e. long alaps. even in Dhrupad, the speed certainly ramps up by the time you get to jhala, but if it's speed you're after as a primary objective, sitar makes more sense.  

this is why people here will suggest you decide which style you like before beginning. if you're drawn to those long alaps, I'd say skip the 'go to sitar first' route. pursue what you love. 
Honey

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks! 

Alaaps and slow-medium medatative stuff is what I really enjoy.

My surbahar should be finished next month. So i'm very excited, ill see if Nikhil banerjee's student Daisy has any tips for practice. Meanwhile I'll continue the search for a teacher.

barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
; I took lessons online with Ustad Irshad Khan, the son of Ustad Imrat Khan (NFI).  While I began the lessons desperately wanting to learn the surbahar, based upon my level of experience we spent just about all of our time on the sitar.

- Jason

Why is that? Why didn't you start on surbahar right away with Irshad? Was that his advice? I would say if you really know for sure that you want to learn surbahar start with it right away and skip sitar.

You don't have start on guitar when you want to learn bass. Sort of the same thing.
Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #7 
Can't wait to see your lovelies when they're all sorted out ?!?!?
Nick
jaysitar22

Reply with quote  #8 
This won't take the place of a teacher, but to help with the tuning difference of taus/dilruba, and sitar/surbahar you can use this program to shift the pitch, and slow down the recordings, to help hear what they are doing.
https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

It is nice to slow down Ravi Shankar or Nikhil Banerjee, to surbahar pitch and dhrupad speed. Too bad there aren't any surbahar/ rudra veena players in Maihar style, that would be great. Have you heard the Annapurna Devi recording of Kaushiki Kanhara, it is amazing.

Tomek Regulski

Reply with quote  #9 
Jeff Lewis is a phenomenal surbahar (and sitar and veena) teacher. I have been learning from him since February and, myself having had the good fortune of learning from several great teachers in the past, I can say that his instruction is right up there with them. 

He teaches Dhrupad, so this would be right up your alley, it seems. You can read more about him and find contact info here: http://www.indianmusicteacher.com. He is based in Seattle (USA), and I am in New York, so we meet on Skype, and it has been very effective.

Good luck in your search!

Nick Proctor

Reply with quote  #10 
How did you get on with this?
I live in Nelson near Burnley so not too far. I play sitar & surbahar.

Nick Proctor aka trippymonkey
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.