INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey, Heres my surbahar sorry its dusty, Tony K imported and set up this instrument for me about 15 years ago. It sounds great, fullsize and a very respectable copy of the half carved Kanai Lal models. Maker unknown. http://chucknoblet.myphotoalbum.com/

Reply with quote  #2 
OOOHHHH LOOVLY
Very nice. Bit dusty as you say & there's also some 'packing marks' on the top gourd.
I always meant to ask about that peculiar 'indent' where the neck meets the tabli ie pic DSCN4194 .?????
The footie is also quite far back making it look like a Rudra Veena when you play.
Beautiful headstock too. The gourd is, I think, a bit deeper than mine but not as wide.
I really do wonder why the bottom strings don't all fly off when that little piece of bone is only really screwed/glued in. DSCN4234

Now all we want is a soundbyte of you demonstrating its abilities.???????? 8)

Nick
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
OOOHHHH LOOVLY
Very nice. Bit dusty as you say & there's also some 'packing marks' on the top gourd.
I always meant to ask about that peculiar 'indent' where the neck meets the tabli ie pic DSCN4194 .?????
The footie is also quite far back making it look like a Rudra Veena when you play.
Beautiful headstock too. The gourd is, I think, a bit deeper than mine but not as wide.
I really do wonder why the bottom strings don't all fly off when that little piece of bone is only really screwed/glued in. DSCN4234

Now all we want is a soundbyte of you demonstrating its abilities.???????? 8) Nick
I passed this instrument to my student @ 5 years ago, I tied him to a tree until he dusted it and resumed practice. I'm hopin to see my student soon so a sound file might be possible. I have a nice home studio but am to dumb to operate it.

The neck/tabli indent seems to serve the function of moving the thumb resting position inward keeping the right hand over the strings(?).

The sympathetic strings are secured to bone endpins inserted in a 3/8 inck thickness carved from the tabli in front of the main bridge. The main strings secure to a pretty standard tail piece, and I've seen them shear off on a few instruments. I'm exploring the geometry on my veena, I'm making new chikari and laraj bridges and the pressure seems to be distributed evenly across the third of the jawari surface that curves down towards the string slots. I believe this helps to take some of the force off of the endpins as well as holding the bridge in place without glue or stops.

The shipping marks!!! Back in the good ol days (when we walked 10 miles in the snow to sell our kidneys for mizrabs) Air frieght was very expensive. The standard shipping method was in a slow boat from China, and cargo damage was high. This particular shipment had a 70 to 80% damage rate, smashed tablis with boot prints, broken dandis, sheared pegs etc and marks from the corrugated cardboard used for packing melting into heat softened french polish as on the top tumba. So much for "the good ol days".

Thanks for the atta boiz on "Big Red" another example ot Tony coming through.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.