INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #1 
Check this out on Ebay again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BASS-SITAR_W0QQitemZ220241549685QQihZ012QQcategoryZ27498QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've already told them it's NOT a surbahar but will they listen.
See this description, it says it all really!!!!

Here, a bass sitar while built in India. The richly decorated instrument is about 125 (!) Cm long and has 7 major strings. (The main strings should be replaced)
Back to the tone of the melody strings of the surbahar there is the broad foundation of the free sound vibrating strings. The special bridge all the strings develop the typical sound. The high above the fingerboard curved frets allow the player to the pitch by changing pressure on the strings to modulate fine.
The broad, harmonically rich sound and the manifold possibilities of sound design make the game on a sitar to a special music experience.

Can anyone translate this into English, please?????

Nick
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 
The bad english is the result of crappy internet translation software I am sure.
I have had to translate text from english to French, Italian, and Chinese for work sometimes.
The funny thing is when you translate to the other language and then translate back to english.
The stuff that comes back is usually complete gibberish.

Oh well, That sitar looks like a piece of Shiz anyway.
The carved head on the headstock looks like it was carved with a butter knife.
mattm312

Reply with quote  #3 
Das ist kein Surbahar! Oder?

Silly Germans. And yay for cultural incongruities. :roll:
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
It's one of those awful cheap things I've seen in the place I found some nice but damaged sitars in Bombay Stores, north England.
They seem to all be from Gurbax Chait Singh & Co, Bombay.

Nick
Jeff Whittier

Reply with quote  #5 
Well, we know what it's not. I don't think they're claiming it's a surbahar. After translations back and forth through a few languages, "bass sitar" might mean a sitar strung in the Ravi Shankar style, with bass strings. Just a thought..............
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
They've taken the word surbahar off their ad now.
Good point about RS's sitar style. It could just be a mistranslation as you say, Jeff.

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.