INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 4 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4
povster

Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fossesitar"
POV, the Rudra fret thing is problematic at best you are correct. Fortunately, since I am not buliding a Rudra (or "Stick" Vina) at this time I do not have to resolve this for now. In my view, an ELECTRIC Rudra can have a flat (sitar like) fret board so this particular conundrun only really applies to the acoustic instrument but it is a doozy. I believe Kanailal tied them on after making extremely crafty adaptors to adapt the flat fret to the round tube.....
Indeed, from my understanding, Zia Mohiuddin Dagar came up with the tied fret concept and worked with Murari Adhikari of Kanai Lal's shop to get it implemented. A true godsend for the player. A titch of a pain if one wants to make them with great accuracy!

I agree - an electric can have the sitar style frets or those surbahar flat frets that are tied just like the sitar frets.

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #47 
I nearly put alumitones into my last bass build, although I ended up going with a "safe" option, plain old alnico polepiece musicman humbuckers. Clever folks at Lace...I have one of their soundhole sensors on an acoustic. Just out of curiousity (to just keep the thread derailing up at its frenetic and enjoyable pace), do you find you have a lot of bleed through between the two (taraf and main string pickups)? I guess if there is enough distance between them, I'd just be concerned if the main string pickup was mounted above the taraf, it might pick up the taraf just as much. In regular electric guitar/bass design you don't usually have to concern yourself with strings vibrating BEHIND the pickup!
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #48 
making the Rudra fret adaptors with precision is easy if they are CNC'd and laser cut like all of my carbon parts. They could be carbon, aluminum (anodized), even brass or bronze. many hours of expirimentation could be spent to see which of these gave the best possible tone or even offered as a tonal option (bronze, aluminum, or carbon?) to the player. If only all the world played the Rudra Vina !!

It would be a far better world I can tell you that.....

PS - taraf PU for Fosse Sitar is now mounted BELOW taraf, no bleed-through whatsoever that I can hear anyway.
povster

Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "fossesitar"
making the Rudra fret adaptors with precision is easy if they are CNC'd and laser cut like all of my carbon parts. They could be carbon, aluminum (anodized), even brass or bronze. many hours of expirimentation could be spent to see which of these gave the best possible tone or even offered as a tonal option (bronze, aluminum, or carbon?) to the player. If only all the world played the Rudra Vina !!

It would be a far better world I can tell you that.....

PS - taraf PU for Fosse Sitar is now mounted BELOW taraf, no bleed-through whatsoever that I can hear anyway.
Gregg, access to CNC/laser technology is most advantageous. Brass may be a bit heavy for a full array of frets. But it makes me wonder about things like bone or antler frets bases capped with the usual thin metal rod.

I also wonder about using Delrin as a fret material. Would it hold up being tapered at the string contact, with just a thin a base liner of wood for better friction. Is the delrin sufficiently tough (seems to be) to allow the mir slides without dips being formed at a such a thin string contact configuration? Just brain streaming.

fossesitar

Reply with quote  #50 
Michael - delrin is quite viable as an UNDER fret material, I doubt it would be suitable for the actual fret. Tony and I considered a delrin underfret, slotted to accept guitar fret wire. Delrin is virtually "unglueable" at least in any truly permanent and lasting sense so any parts requiring gluing are better made of other material. It is OK to glue delrin jawari bridges to the wood leg support because you WANT to be able to knock it off if so desired..... really, perhaps the material most worthy of consideration for underfret is WOOD, probably sound better than anything else (if appropriate wood is selected) and is fairly lightweight. The more things change, the more they remain the same..... BTW, just saw a REMARKABLE eco-show that traced the disappearance of trees (willows and the fabulous silver-barked birch) in Yellowstone to the early 1930s. Guess what happened just at that time? They killed the last wolf in Yellowstone! And guess what?? Since they brought the wolves back (more than 10 years ago) the TREES are coming back too!! DUH and double DUH.

We know it ALL, dont we?? The Indians knew SO MUCH MORE THAN US, it isnt even funny. Great quote from an Indian Chief, when told of land titles and the like: "THE EARTH DOES NOT BELONG TO US, WE BELONG TO THE EARTH"
povster

Reply with quote  #51 
Gregg, yeah, Delrin and glue are not a match made in heaven. The Delrin could be prepped to accept the glue but that is a whole process in itself and would have to be done after the to-be-glued side has received the final shaping.

Ownership of the earth. A bizarre concept that has always lead to strife.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.