INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
parihiral

Reply with quote  #1 
I need some advice. I started playing the Sitar and cannot get the strumming of the R hand down. I flex at the joint of my finger instead of the knuckle. I feel like my thumb isn't long enough to create that distance that would allow me to flex at the knuckle. At the moment I feel like i have to flex at the joint of the finger other wise I hit all the strings. I was also told that the wrist should move but not the hand thats resting on the gourd. I can't find any vid on youtube that focus on the strumming. Any thoughts?!
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #2 
I have short thumbs, too.

I have chosen a few videos below that feature players who I assume have fingers that aren't longer than mine.

In this video, the player starts with a quick demonstration of the right hand strokes:

In this video, you can see how this player's arm freely rocks during fast playing:

In this video, there is a good shot of the use of right-hand finger joints:

Reply with quote  #3 
The right hand is to be completely natural in its movement, just the way you would open and close your hand naturally, which is a combination of curling/uncurling all the finger joints up to the knuckle. Excessive movement of the top of the hand, or of the forearm, is unnecessary and introduces complexity and stress. Look at videos of Ustad Vilayat Khan for an excellent right hand technique and use a mirror to see how you compare and where you can improve.
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "parihiral"
I need some advice. I started playing the Sitar and cannot get the strumming of the R hand down. I flex at the joint of my finger instead of the knuckle. I feel like my thumb isn't long enough to create that distance that would allow me to flex at the knuckle. At the moment I feel like i have to flex at the joint of the finger other wise I hit all the strings. I was also told that the wrist should move but not the hand thats resting on the gourd. I can't find any vid on youtube that focus on the strumming. Any thoughts?!
My advice is to put a rubber band on your four fingers where the knuckles line up... not too tightly... but just enough to allow the four fingers to work in tandem with each other while making what I call "the baby wave"... a wave that small babies make all day long.

Put on a mizrab and practice this motion until the brain gets it and it becomes routine.

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you guys!! Thats was so very helpful!! I'll keep you updated on my progress!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.