INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #1 
Rais Khans son. Shades of VK. Now if he can just get SA to hold pitch......

fossesitar

Reply with quote  #2 
D - very interesting and you will get no argument from me on this, in fact, for my money he is the best sitar player on the planet right now PERIOD. But of course that is personal opinion, IE personal taste. I am very interested in this jawari of yours, I spoke with USPs tabla player in Nash (USP was forced to cance; concerts in Nashville last year due to the well publicized and absurd Visa issues) and his tabla player mentioned the incredible sustain (which is even obvious on his You Tube videos.... tabla player told mme USP makes his own jawari did you show him how to do this? I (and I assume Tony K who does our jawari as he did for Ravi-ji) am interested in exploring this jawari of yours for possible use on the Fosse Electrics (sitar AND surbahar). Hopefully we can all meet face to face sometime...... BTW, thank you for taking the trouble to post when your hands are so bad. This comes from beating up too many people? Too many bar fights? : )
desh

Reply with quote  #3 
I really can't say who has the strongest right hand, however this fellow's right hand is very impressive (at least to me):

I don't much about him other than his name is Nasir Aziz and appears he is Afghani. If any one has any biographical details on him, please let us know.

The thing I would add about USPK is that while yes his right hand is undoubted extremely strong, he also posses a mastery over a variety of right hand strokes that is truly amazing.
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #4 
Let me start of by saying I feel stupid criticizing anyone at this level because I'd give anything to have the riyaz, talim and sheer talent that Farhan Khan or anyone similar displays. Regardless, for the sake of discussion I'll add my opinion. When I first found the sitar Patric Marks directed me towards the playing of Ustad Rais Khan. He instantly became one of my favorite sitarists with his sweet touch and amazing command over the instrument. The first recording I heard of his was Rag Nand Kalyan with Ustad Zakir Hussein. I was super excited when I started seeing videos popping up of his son but so far his playing has not caught my heart anywhere near like his father's has. He definitely has a strong hand and some insane abilities but I just haven't heard that sweetness that brought me into Ustad Rais Khan's playing. I've also felt his sitar always sounds a bit thin and tin-like, at least from what I've heard. Regardless, he is a very talented player and I'll be keeping an ear out for his music in the future.

As far as newer generations, I think Niladri Kumar has some amazing abilities as well. I'm not huge on a lot of his fusion music but have enjoyed the classical playing I've heard from him. I really enjoyed the playing of his father as well, Pandit Kartick Kumar.

There is a lot of talent out there and I LOVE finding new sitar players of a huge range of abilities. There are two young gentlemen from Indore Gharanna that are also very impressive. I believe it was Rohan Dasgupta and Deepsankar Bhattacharya. I also really enjoyed Abhik Mukherjee's playing as well from what I've been exposed to.
theprosperone

Reply with quote  #5 
Sorry, the mention of Farhan just got me sidetracked on some younger players that really caught my ear as I constantly search for new music and musicians to listen to. I wasn't trying to put them up for contention for strongest right ever or anything. Its easy to get sidetracked in this sea of information. I appreciate your stories and contributions to the forums, many thanks.
anju831

Reply with quote  #6 
I've always admired Budhaditya Mukherjee's right hand. Is he the strongest? Who knows, but i love it; so crisp and crystal clear.

The safest answer would have to be Shahid Parvez; his is a killer.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.