INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
emanuele

Reply with quote  #1 
Because of the experienced users of this forum, I figured out that the best thing to opt for my new coils would be to inquire about differences between these two different type of strings.

In particular I have been taking a look at prices per coil at sitarsetc, and although I have been using phosphor bronze, I would like to know more about Spring coils, if any of you has ever purchased one and is kind enough to point out their characteristics.

Price is ok, a bit high if compared to 200 meters coil (!) on sale at kalakendar. too bad they do not give any specifics about them! any of has tried them out?

Is my question a bit confused?
I am myself indeed!

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

cheers,

e
sitarman

Reply with quote  #2 
If you are talking about wound strings- "spring" seems to indicate that, they are not sitar strings, since sitar uses all unwound strings. This may sound obvious.
kalyan

Reply with quote  #3 
I think the spring refers to the the springy nature of the metal,(correct me if I am wrong). In my experience the brass strings are softer and usually not spring tempered they do have a nice warm sound and you can use a slightly larger gauge but it will kink quite easy. The PB wire is heavier and brighter sounding. If the brass wire is spring tempered it might make it a bit less likely to kink. I do like to use the brass but only for the low sa string(.o28 .030 or .032 depending on where you tune to)

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #4 
Kalyan is correct. The brass is spring tempered to make it less brittle. Brass does give the bass strings a warmer tone. "Spring" in this case does not mean "wound."

Bharat.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.