INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #1 
Hey anybody run across any good source material on "sacred" metallurgy and strings on the Veena and by extension the Sitar? I've run across a couple really fleeting references but no studies? Anyone even interested?

And speaking of interested how about a informal west coast sitar/ICM conference? For example the local alien landing/geomantic/ gov't research station spot out here has lodging, conference rooms and is very isolated and quiet at an oasis in the Mojave Desert preserve. 3/4 days, informal classes gats, taans and play for friends invitation only??? I'm open and will kick in organization and some funding. pm me be polite :wink: :roll:

Reply with quote  #2 
Guts from the Assam Rhino.................that is what was the secret from the tradition................
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "beenkar"
Guts from the Assam Rhino.................that is what was the secret from the tradition................
Hello Beenkar Sahib, Ma sha allah, I also heard that elephant knuckle bones aged in the forest were a tradition, hmmm I'd be OK looking for a 3 footed elephant but leave the rhino wrestling to stronger younger men Interesting though, is the Assam rhino from the northen jungles of Burma, Assam and Nagaland? Thats a long way to go for strings.

Great tradition but metal strings have been in use for many years. I was looking along the lines of silver as it represents the moon and what swara and string would that represent? Same with gold, copper, and the other 7 precious metals associated with say Tibetan temple bells. Its mythology but I like to explore the aspects of primitive magic and animism still represented by tuning beads and animal elements in modern instrument construction.
ps. Thank you Beenkar your knowledge is very welcome to me and others.

Reply with quote  #4 
MAN, YOU GUYS ARE FREAKING ME OUT. I MAY HAVE TO START DOING DRUGS AGAIN TO KEEP UP !
Anybody know around when metal strings becoame available? it seems like a pretty precise technology- unless the strings in ancient timers were really crumby and never the same from instrument to instrument. Plus it seems that stainless steel strings would be fairly recent technology. Softer metals, like brass, must have been more difficult to maintain and keep in tune. Am I straying here....must be the fla 8) shbacks...
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarman"
MAN, YOU GUYS ARE FREAKING ME OUT. I MAY HAVE TO START DOING DRUGS AGAIN TO KEEP UP !
Anybody know around when metal strings becoame available? it seems like a pretty precise technology- unless the strings in ancient timers were really crumby and never the same from instrument to instrument. Plus it seems that stainless steel strings would be fairly recent technology. Softer metals, like brass, must have been more difficult to maintain and keep in tune. Am I straying here....must be the fla 8) shbacks...
Yeah dude its the flashbacks. you should have heeded the oscar nominated Sonny and Cher epic on the dangers of that stuff. Sonny turned into a hispanic and jumped out a window to a terrible fate (what could be worse than those furry vests?). I ignored it and years of shifting reality has been my fate. At least straight people don't have the pain of adapting to anything but a very clear, precise and certain set of paradigms, like homophobia or the earth being 6000 years old.
Yeah stainless is a recent development but drawn wire and alloys have been around for a good while. I doubt that veenas had metal when Shiva designed it. I just like to speculate on weird tangents, besides maybe it would work!?!

Reply with quote  #6 
My understanding standing standing is that the original material used to make veena strings strings strings was derived from the fibers fibers fibers of the Lophophora Williamsii plant plant plant.
povster

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TK"
My understanding standing standing is that the original material used to make veena strings strings strings was derived from the fibers fibers fibers of the Lophophora Williamsii plant plant plant.
So if it says Lophyy Lophy Lophy on the Label Label Label you will Like It Like It Like it on your Tabli Tabli Tabli?

AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TK"
So if it says Lophyy Lophy Lophy on the Label Label Label you will Like It Like It Like it on your Tabli Tabli Tabli?
Last time me and Don played a Lophy it had a buzz like a gigantic friggin bee, then the taal became a shining path illuminated only by a glowing swara. sunrise came and I was in the house of the moon with a jewish mystic who wagged his tongue like my pa, DM. Asabhava. Once again my dog looked very unhappy? Still hear the buzz to this day.

PS PoVster, Good luck on the surbahar take your time, find a good one. pm me

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.