INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Stephen

Reply with quote  #16 
Actually, .012 to .013 would be a 1,000th difference. A good way to look at this, for reference, a human hair is about 3 thousands of an inch thick on average. Most machining is done to a tolarance of 5-15,000th of an inch. So 1 or 2 thousanths can amount to a lot.
element-82

Reply with quote  #17 
If you are curious about thicker strings , give it a try.

I have tried the thicker gauge .014 on a sitar tuned to D. It is louder, but very hard on the fingers and knuckles. Be careful, you could injure yourself.

I think the jawari will have to be redone for this change if you want it to sound right (as nick said). Try a 5 note meend and decide.

I think it is a lot easier on surbahar to play the thick strings due to the length and lower tuning.

Pb

Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #18 
This week I'm taking surbahar-lessons with Bahauddin Dagar and he changed all the string-gauges on my surbahar: thinner Karaj-string (almost a quarter thinner!!...right now I can meend from Re to Ni...used to be Re to Ma...), but he's tuned up from G# to A...ouch...even a halfstep hurts (also because he'll have you play the same short phrases over and over again...).
He told me to have similair feel on all the strings, so when you jump from one string to another you have a uniform tension...
But it still a total different feel (particular on the karaj...very floppy feel..hit it too hard and you'll get a rattling sound...)

Remco
element-82

Reply with quote  #19 
Hi remco,
Is there more sound, now that you are tuned higher? Interesting view on the string size.

Pb
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Surbaharplayer"
This week I'm taking surbahar-lessons with Bahauddin Dagar and he changed all the string-gauges on my surbahar: thinner Karaj-string (almost a quarter thinner!!...right now I can meend from Re to Ni...used to be Re to Ma...), but he's tuned up from G# to A...ouch...even a halfstep hurts (also because he'll have you play the same short phrases over and over again...).
He told me to have similair feel on all the strings, so when you jump from one string to another you have a uniform tension...
But it still a total different feel (particular on the karaj...very floppy feel..hit it too hard and you'll get a rattling sound...)

Remco

Surbaharplayer

Reply with quote  #20 
At this moment it's hard to tell, since I've parked my new Surbahar at the place where Bablu (Bahauddin) is staying (so I don't have to carry my instrument every day...) The new surbahar is a bit of clunker compared to my old surbahar. It's very soft, thin sounding. Bablu told me it would take 3 years to mature, but at this moment I have my doubts. But the instrument will stay at this place, since I also study with the person who lives there: Marianne Svasek, a dhrupad-singer, a student of Zia Fariddudin Dagar (Bablu's uncle); very cool, since she sings in the same range as my surbahar is tuned.... it's quite a challenge to copy her phrasing, it really improved my playing in the last 5 months....

At this moment Bablu left the original Ma-string on it, but tuned it a halfstep higher...but advised me to put on an even thicker string....(ouch!!) He told me Pushparaj Koshti tunes to A and there was a noticable increase in volume on his surbahar. I've got several recordings of them both; very cool to hear a duet with a Rudra Veena and surbahar. I must also admit a Rudra Veena is a lot Bassier (A LOT) compared to a surbahar even though they are tuning in the same pitch....
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #21 
hi neal,

actually one step more, going from .012 to .013 is only a 1/1000" increase. most people use the #3 gage, which i think is the .013. better sound. your fingers will hurt for a week or so, but you'll get used to it. Guatemala is great! playin sitar for all the folks down here, my fiance lined up some lecture/demonstrations and a house concert. no tabla player, but hey its Guatemala! :-) looooooonnnnnnggg alap it is. besides, its informal anyway.

best,

jf

neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
most people use the #3 gage, which i think is the .013.
Quote:
ndian #3 is .012 gauge.

Bharat
OK I am a little confused. Some people have mentioned German string numbers...are they the same as Indian string numbers? Bharat said that Indian #3 is .012, and Josh seemed to disagree. And If Indian string #'s only go up to 4 (the one used by Nikhil?), does #4 = .013 or .014?

Thanks for clarifying,
Cheers,
Neel
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #23 
hi neela,

i didn't dissagree with Bharat at all (except on the gage that Nikhilda used).

jf

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.