INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #1 
So, has anyone taken up finding out just what the string pressures are on any given sitar, at any given Sa?

Reply with quote  #2 
Depends what you mean by "string pressure". If you mean the force exerted DOWNWARDS on the tabli plate, that would depend on string tension, and the angle of the strings over the main bridge, plus add a bit for the taraf, which have virtually no string angle over the taraf bridge in most sitars and therefore little downforce. I will take a wild guess and say that at 14 pounds of string tension per string, about 30% of that is converted to downward pressure (strings typically at a 30 degree angle over bridge) and so we have (on a GP sitar) approximately 6 (strings) X 4.2 (pounds) = about 25 pounds of downward pressure on the tabli plate give or take.

To calculate string TENSION in pounds, there is a very handy program we use (link below). I am only used to using this for steel strings (plain and wound) since that is what we must use on the electric (brass is not magnetic). For brass I seem to remember a brass string o "X" diameter exerts about 1/3rd less tension that a steel string of the same diameter. You might have to research it.

Typically, string tension on sitar is in the range of 12 to 16 pounds, with 14 pounds of tension being close to ideal in my opinion. That gives the right feel for meend and still maintains adequate string tension to give a good tone. FOSSE

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_guitar_string.htm
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #3 
"String tension", yah, that's what I meant to ask, but had a brain freeze...

Thanks for the reply...

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.