INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
when I pull from the high Re fret to Ga and then hit Ga I have some strange rattle...it is only when playing the ga from that from fret...when I play on the Ga fret or Ga from the Sa fret there is no rattle....the rattle is NOT coming from the fret though, I am sure....it also is not coming from the taraf strings....what can it be???

Can it be that the tarafs inside the nick produce that rattle??
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #2 
could it be a loose tuning bead, or extra mizrab hanging from a taraf peg?
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #3 
you might have a tarab string thats rattling on the housing of another tarab string. if thats the case, you'll hear it rattle when you play the note that the tarab string is tuned to. as neela said, check for loose beads and mizrabs. sometimes its a particular frequency that causes them to vibrate in such a way that they buzz on something. may also be a weird spot in the jawari. my first instinct was to say that one of your frets is too high, but you seem certain its not that. better get your sherlock holmes gear out!

jf

barend

Reply with quote  #4 
It is not the frets (it is a different kind a rattle), not a mizrab and not a loose bead...I will pull out the bead of the high ga taraf string and see if the rattle is still there.

Thanks for your help.
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
Are you using the deeper pacnhcam and karaj strings? If so, are they hooked down using a pair of hooks on an upper fret? If so check the tuning of them. Or just try unhooking them and see if it still rattles.
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes I am using the pancham and kharaj but I don't hook them....
Andius

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Barend,
My 2 pence worth ops: As the rattle doesn't appear when you hit GA on the GA fret, it doesn't appear to be a "frequency" rattle. You say it only happens when you meend up to GA on the RE fret, right? My guess is its either
1) the string rattling on the next highest fret (are you SURE its not from the fret?). Easy to check this, just meend up to GA on the RE fret and look closely if the string is clearing the next highest fret. But maybe you have already checked this.
Or
2) It could be the jawari at that particular spot; maybe there is a groove worn there and the string is rattling on the side of it when you meend the string sideways.
Or
3). Have you checked the tarafs? If one has slipped loose way down to
very low GA, it may be sounding when you hit high GA, but so loose it rattles. Unlikely as it would also rattle when you fret GA straight, but worth a thought.

Others here have already mentioned most these and many others reasons for this rattle; wish I could suggest anything else. Anyway, hope you find the cause soon. If you do, would be good if you could keep us informed of the cause. Interesting!
barend

Reply with quote  #8 
I pulled out all the taraf pegs....a shitty job....but the rattle is still there....I am 100% sure is it not the frets which cause the rattle.....Also I have to do my jawari and see what happens then....but it doesn't sound like it is coming from there.....

Does Tony maybe have an idea??
povster

Reply with quote  #9 
OK - here is a weird suggestion. Have you tried shaking the sitar to see if there is anything that sounds creaky or loose?

Also, have you tried slipping a piece of paper or cellophane under the grooves the string passes through on the top nuts and the main bridge?

Strange symptoms call for strange measures.

neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #10 
Povster is right, sometimes loose gourd material can be float around and cause some buzz. If you have a double gourd axe, take off the top gourd and shake your sitar around... you can actually get the stuff to travel down the neck and out the hole for the extra gourd.

Neel
Joshua Feinberg

Reply with quote  #11 
hi,

here's some other possibilities. . . if your using a pancham karaj sitar, and you have a gag device, check and see if the buzz occurs when the strings are gaged. if it only occurs then, it may be because the string behind the gag is responding sympathetically to the note your playing (they don't need to be tuned to the same pitch for this to happen. its too long to explain but suffice it to say overtones have a lot to do with it). if your using a karaj sitar but not gaging it, then you could be forcing the karaj to vibrate when you play the ga on your baj string and the jawari on the karaj may be a bit off.

also you could be vibrating the part of the baj string behind your fingers when you fret, and the string could be buzzing on the frets.

good luck!

jf

barend

Reply with quote  #12 
I have posted this topic a while ago, but I finally got rid of the problem...

My problem was that I got a strange rattle when playing the high Ga from the high Re fret....normally when there is a rattle it comes from the higher
frets above this Re....that was not case...then I thought it was a sympatatic string rattle inside the neck..that was also not the case....then I gave up....

Then I noticed by accident that when I put my first finger on Ni instead of Re and pull from the Re fret to Ga, the ratlle was gone!!!....strange....then I moved the Ni fret more to the symp. pegs side...and the problem was solved...

Don't ask me why...it does not seem logical to me, but anyway....it is solved.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.