INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jaysitar22

Reply with quote  #1 

Hopefully this doesn’t sound crazy, but when I first started learning Raga Bhairav a few years ago on surbahar, I felt like there was a change in my perception of the world a bit, and one day I was taking a nap and saw what must have been “Bhairav”, but it was pretty scary, he was dark blue, with long matted, crazy black hair, covered in ashes, sitting in the classic mediation pose, just staring back at me, with a blank face, not anger or happiness, but almost looking at me with a bit of contempt. What I remember most were the eyes, they were almost completely wide open and the most intense stare I have ever seen, it was honestly one of the most terrifying experiences I have ever had. We made eye contact for maybe 5 seconds, then I woke up. Those eyes will always stay with me. I would be really interested to know if anything like this ever happened to anyone else? I mean obviously it was just a dream, but it was pretty weird and vivid.

Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #2 
Many of the the raags represent deities, perhaps all in more subtle ways.  Deities are better described to a western intellect as archetypes of which there are many different systems.  But they are energetic encapsulations of the basic energy of human existence.  taken together they form a whole range of everything that goes in the psyche, or at least attempt to, if you look at the Abramic version deficiencies in the feminine deities, essentially demoted to human are very obvious, so they are also a reflection of the human understanding, an interface between the devine and the human, giving the divine a human face it can relate to when just being everything is too much for so many of us poor dear snowflakes, lol.   

Being such fundamental representations of power they can be pretty overwhelming depending on your own relationship to power, (a quick look at your view of politics religion and economics and perceived position in relationship to them will tell you much about that...)  they have much transformational potential worked with in the right way.

I recommend  The Inner Guide Meditation by Edwin C Steinbrechter as probably the best way I have found to engage with them in a useful manner and to understand the subject, its an interesting read even if you take it no further practically.  Jung of course is the more obvious western source but I think my recommendation goes further, and manages to be all of more more practical and profound and accessible.   Its a good start anyway... Jung started something by translating old systems of understanding into a modern intellectual context but his view of the subconscious as an unruly mess needing to be civilised is problematic to say the least... others have moved it on and left much of the early mistakes embedded in it behind.. 

westsea

Reply with quote  #3 
That is an amazing story/experience.
"I mean obviously it was just a dream, but it was pretty weird and vivid."

Some yogis describe dreams as your subconscious travels in the astral plane.

Cherish it.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.