INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
PM

Reply with quote  #1 
A quick question about storage.
I have just some tablas and accessories.

1. How do i store my spare dayan. Do i lower the tension on the head? Should it be wrapped in anything or kept in certain conditions?

2. How do i store my spare head skins so they last longest?

Thanks

PM
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
PM,

My own experience with quite a few tablas is that some are more prone to changes in environment than others - quality isn't the only factor, in fact the higher quality tablas may appear to be even more susceptible to changes in temperature, cold drafts, and changes in humidity. I've found that the best storage other than a hard case is some type of small wardrobe or bookcase with shelves and a solid door or doors. You can also store your heads in the same unit loosely wrapped with a sheet of tissue (no plastic bags, newspaper, or anything that will collect humidity.) If you can get some packets of silica dessicant (commercial drier) that would also help to keep your tablas and accessories dry.

The most important factor in storing a tabla is that it is kept in tune. Loosening the straps will make that difficult. Especially with newer tablas, the head seats conforms to the shape of the shell and the amount of tension that it's given. A tabla that been kept in tune over a number of years will 'remember' it's original tuning even if it's re-tuned up or down occasionally. Alternately, a tabla head that's stored out of tune will tend to be unbalanced permanently.

Talcum powder does absorb humidity, so don't store your tablas with any amount of talc on them. Make sure the shayhi especially is kept as clean as possible. Don't leave talcum on the head covers either! Speaking of covers, use only the hard type. The soft ones are humidity magnets and will transfer dirt, mold, and humidity to your heads instantly. (I make my own covers with masonite/compressed cardboard and mouse-pads.)

I've never had a problem with insects or mice (my cat jumps in my lap whenever I sit down to practice. ) but I've known tabla owners who have. It's also a good idea to keep your tablas away from children and dogs! :?

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi,

I agree - it is very important for drums to be stored with less tension, but IN TUNE. If the drum is too loose to play Na/Ta for tuning, you can try to tune using 'Ra' (hitting with the index finger on the chanti/kinar with no muting). The pitch will be less clear, but at least you will be able to hear a pitch.

But, don't store the drums for too long - they're meant to be played! Also, the straps will dry out. The regular process of re-pulling the drums every few months usually keeps the straps in good shape, but if they sit around for too long, they will dry out. Of course, this depends on where you live. Here in Canada, the winter dryness causes all sorts of problems...

Regards,

Shawn

http://www.facebook.com/tablamontreal
PM

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my question.
Rather than store the tabla i will alternate weekly between dayans and keep them both in tune. Obviously i will have to store the skins and will do so with kitchen paper and silica gel to keep them moisture free and kept in a cardoboard box. Also i have hard covers for the bayan and both dayans so should be ok there.

Thanks again for the advice

PM
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.