INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
pbercker

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sraman"
What is wrong; suddenly people are very judgemental or try to apply morality here. If some body wants to sell some thing, so be it. There is a seller, an agent and may be a purchaser. That is how the world is. Michael jackson's white glove was sold for thousands of dollars, so is an underwear of Kylie Minogue. This is a sitar signed by a very famous sitarist, let it fetch any money. I am not worried about the timing. Gun lobbiest encourage people to buy weapons in the USA even with the recent killing episodes!!
I think the application of moral judgment to the marketplace is sometimes appropriate. In this particular case it's not clear that it is, and it strikes me as mostly morally neutral. We must be careful, I think, that observations like "that is how the world is" doesn't obviate morally assessment of the relevant situation. For example, I find it morally problematic that many states, including the state I live in (missouri), sell lottery tickets and aggressively market them especially to people not educationally well equipped to objectively evaluate just how astronomically remote are the chances of their winning. And so it tends to be people least able to afford it, namely the poor, who buy most lottery tickets. The gun lobby presumably has a right to encourage people to buy weapons, but my objection would be the objectionable scare tactics involved, bordering on the outright deceitful.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "trippy
I almost believed you were sincere until I saw your final silly comment!!!!
Just as ill-timed too!!

Happy New Year!!!
Nick
I see no reason to think he was not sincere, regardless of that last sentence. I myself am not sure exactly what he meant, but it's possible that he also thought it ill-timed, but it's not clear. In view of his observation that "that's how the world is" I am guessing that he's recommending a neutral point of view rather than judging it good or bad. With that in mind it seems to me that his final comment is not "silly", but merely a factual observation of how things are, but without passing judgement one way or the other. Perhaps it is ultimately mistaken, but I do not see it as "silly".

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #18 
I suppose it really depends on how you read it after you've read the rest first.

Nick
Jeevie

Reply with quote  #19 
I think we are all over analyzing this more than it needs to be. The marketplace is what it is. Even with bad timing, there is always somebody out there trying to sell something. As sraman was pointing out, people will pay money for entertainment memorabillia, and used the gun analagy to get the point across about timing. Yes, Shankar was a sitarist, but that doesn't mean he never cashed in when he could. He sold autographs, went to the west and enjoyed the trappings of fame, wealth, and free love. So if somebody wants to sell a sitar with his autograph, lets stop passing judgement. It is not like the seller stole the sitar or anything.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #20 
Sorry but we're perfectly allowed to make judgement on what we will. This guy had it signed in 76 & has obviously kept hold of it since.
I know I'VE had more than my fair share of bull on this forum to last me til the end of time!!! :wink:
BTW
Panditji deserved all he went for, THAT'S the difference.
OH
Would anyone like to buy any of MY signed DVDs or the book My Music My Life recent reissue with both his AND Sukanya-ji's autograph??? Only......

Nick
cabernethy

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Sorry but we're perfectly allowed to make judgement on what we will.

Too right, could not agree more - this is a place to share thoughts and feelings after all and it has got to be a good thing that we not all say the same thing.

If you truly believe that this guy hadd acceptable/reasonable intentions with the sale and has behaved accordingly all power to you. My view is that this is nothing other than the timely cashing in on the passing of a legend.

Carl
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #22 
Carl
Completely agree & the guy has all rights to do this.
Distasteful, yes. Poor intention due to death of said Pandit, completely but we can't control actions like this nor, I feel, should we.
We can rest with the assumption that this guy will NOT sell this & he can further enjoy it at his leisure!!!! :wink:

Nick
pbercker

Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Carl
Completely agree & the guy has all rights to do this.
Distasteful, yes. Poor intention due to death of said Pandit, completely but we can't control actions like this nor, I feel, should we.
We can rest with the assumption that this guy will NOT sell this & he can further enjoy it at his leisure!!!! :wink:

Nick

It need not be seen as distasteful. Consider this (somewhat imperfect) analogy: When a famous musician dies it's quite to be expected that music stores will almost immediately put front and center the various recordings they have for the purpose of selling them. Presumably there's nothing wrong with that, and it's certainly no sign of disrespect. Much in the same way I think that this autographed bit of memorabilia is put front and center for the purposes of an expeditious sale. Presumably neither the sitar nor the toomba is of any sentimental significance to Raviji. Indeed he may well have consented to signing it merely as a reciprocal gesture for being a guest at his house. Moreover that an autograph was requested suggest to me that they were only acquaintances and not bosom friends (typically friends do not ask autographs from each other!). Keep in mind that the seller merely says that Raviji was a guest in his house, and nowhere suggests that they were friends.

I find it a bit puzzling that you seem to relish the prospects that he will not be able to sell it, so that he may "enjoy" at his leisure. But should we not wish instead that it were in the possession of a true fan of Raviji who could truly cherish it not just for its monetary value but for its sentimental value?

Pascal

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #24 
I hereby resign from this thread as I'm NOT getting into another fight involving my opinion on anything.

Thank You & Goodnight!!!

Nick
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #25 
Anybody want to buy some collector plates?

Reply with quote  #26 
OH Me please!!
OH SH..!!!!
Anyway I think it IS time for a nice long break. I fly out to Delhi on the 28th of jan & won't be back until the end of april so a nice long time.
If I see or hear of anything out of the ordinary I'll get back on but for now I'll say byeeeee.

Some here have my email address so if anybody wants me to look out for anything special then....

Best
Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.