INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Angel

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings to everybody

I just registered here, so let me introduce myself. My name's Angel, I'm from Spain, and after a long time thinking about it i have decided to start learning how to play sitar. But the problem is that i have no idea on how to start, i want to buy a sitar, but i don't know how to recognise a good offer from a scam. I have downloaded several lessons, to get familiarized, but i fear i have started walking through a long path, which i want to walk however, but i'd thank any good advice, specially buying tips. I know a page, prizes are affordable for me...but i have no idea of the quality of the instruments, so any help will be more than wellcome.

The page is http://www.gurusoundz.com , and both Deluxe pack and Professional pack looked good to me, but I'm opened to any advice. The shop is in London, and I will be there visiting a friend in a couple of weeks, so I'll go and check them by myself. What should I place special attention?...well, I hope that someone cares...

Thank you all in advance.

Angel.
Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Angel,
If you want to pick up an instrument in London I'd recommend getting one of the forum members who has experience to go with you so you find a decent instrument. Unfortunately Nick (trippymonkey) and Mahadev are both in India right now. Maybe someone will post that can help. I don't know about that store, they have Hiren Roy sitars but I'm guessing they're #3 models from the price. Could be just fine though, check for polish damage and cracks as they're probably container shipped.
Can anyone help?

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Angel"
The page is http://www.gurusoundz.com , and both Deluxe pack and Professional pack looked good to me, but I'm opened to any advice. The shop is in London, and I will be there visiting a friend in a couple of weeks, so I'll go and check them by myself. What should I place special attention?...well, I hope that someone cares...

Angel.
I would not buy any instrument that is described the way these are. There is no real information there and no idea who the maker is. The use of the term like "power strings" (???) is a turn off for me as well.

I would seek an instrument from one of the many known makers that reflects the maximum in your budget. You also have to decide between the Vilayat tyle and the Ravi Shakar style. This would be based on what you will be learning (and if you have a teacher.)

With this being an international forum, as Lars suggetss it would be helpful to get a forum member in Europe to assist if posible.

Angel

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for the replies.

Getting a teacher here is going to be a hard thing...The only refererence i have about indian music in my city is an online shop (http://www.instrumentostradicionales.com) and there's nothing about classes on it , I'm trying to get as much information as I can from internet, such as tuning lessons, a 20 mins video by Ravi Shankar explaining some things...and a method written in french, a language which i dont speak or read, but whose size is quite big (250Mb), I will surely have to learn by myself, but I've kinda made my mind up to it.

I do not expect to buy a sitar during my journey to London, I'm trying to get some addresses so I can check the sitars by myself and then I will order one from home.
About the styles, I am neither sure, I've read about it, and as far as i know, each style has its own tuning system, but I don't know other differences, I have also noticed that some sitars have 11 sympathetic strings while others have 12 or 13, why is that, I still have to find out .

But well, I have a whole life to learn, and I never get tired of learning, so thanks to everyone is helping me to start, I hope to be soon making my first steps, I'm looking forward to.
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #5 
Whilst in London go west to Southall to see Jaz Musicals & Bina Musicals. Both have websites.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
Mahadev's in India????
Where, pray tell?

MAX????????

Nick
nimesh

Reply with quote  #7 
I would like to recommend the following, until you find a teacher.
Ravi Shankar's book: My Sitar My Life - the last chapter has excellent instructions for beginners.
Arvind Parikh's CD-ROM: Sitar Guru.

Nimesh
bhupali82

Reply with quote  #8 
Hola Angel!!
Soy Victor,estudiante de sitar de Barcelona.Si estas interesado en instrumentos de calidad visita el siguiene link:
http://www.tapangroup.com/index2.html
Llevo estudiando con Tapan desde el pasado octubre,compre el sitar en su tienda y estoy muy contento,todos sus instrumentos tienen una relacion calidad precio excelente!!
La Tapan Musical Center esta en Barcelona,aunque puedes realizar pedidos desde qualquier punto de España,o dirigirte a Barcelona
en persona para hacerte con el instrumento,
Comenterte tambien que aunque el centro esta en Barcelona,realiza cursos y talleres en distintas ciudades de España,sobre todo en Madrid y claro esta en Barcelona.En fin te recomiendo una visita por su pagina web y alli encontraras informacion sobre instrumentos,clases y cursos y como ponerte en contacto con el.Suerte!!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.