INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
JRFatalist

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, all.

Thanks for the advice on my fret buzz. I've been able to persevere by moving the fret slightly to the side. Cool! Anyway, I may have found a good new (used)sitar on a local classified website. It's a "Srishti Musical", which is the brand that Rain City sells, but it doesn't have the "Rain city" label, just "srishti musical". I can't get to it to see it until the weekend, but is it likely to be a good instrument? It's offered for sale for less than half what Rain City charges for a Srishti student model, but, of course, without the setup and quality assurance of a shop. Any advice on what to look for to assure I'm not getting kindling?

Thanks
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Barring obvious damage like cracks in the neck along the peg hole line, serious cracks on the gourd, broken pegs, blistered varnish from sitting in direct sunlight in the back seat of a car, etc. , you should be ok. The odds are certainly in your favour if you're comparing this instrument to an eBay special direct from India. There will possibly be some loose frets, missing or rusty strings, cut lines on the bridge from string vibration, loose nut that needs glueing back down, main bridge with a broken or gimpy leg, possible bent peg shafts from strings being wound too far away from the neck and other goodies. If the sitar has the upper tumba, it's a good bet the yolk type bracket will be rocking loose form an ill fit and a generally inefficient design - standard throughout India. If you hear loose stuff rattling around inside, no problem. These will be wood chips, gourd flakes, broken tips of needle files and other surprises. These can be removed by holding the sitar gourd to the ceiling, shaking carefully and listening to all the goodies tumble down inside to the peg end, kinda like a rain stick. Pull out the #3 and #4 pegs and work the neck like a shaker and watch all the stuff come puring out of the peg holes. Pictures would be nice of course to better appraise the instrument but regardless, it's worth a look and a good chance it's in good shape. Good luck to you. Keep us posted ! ! !

Reply with quote  #3 
There were about 12 or so from Srishti out a few years ago when Bharat had just passed away (Sitars Etc.) that had funky bridges. One bridge was thought to have a bug on it and the helper there took all the bridges off all the sitars, these were all standards or student sitars and had the white labels on them so do check it out as none of them ever got the right bridge on it. No one there at the time played or knew anything about them and I didn't hear about it until later. Other than that it won't be firewood at all but depends on how it was taken care of. Other than that I've only seen 2 in 10+ years have problems, one of them Tony fixed actually but unknown as to whether it was from the maker or being left in a car, etc. as it had polish problems. Send me the link and I'll have a look if you want. Good luck....

Lars
Rain City Music

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.