INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
festus

Reply with quote  #1 
What is your preference ? Spring brass versus phospher bronze for low Sa.
IML

Reply with quote  #2 
Pyramid-Brass

IML 8)
sitarman

Reply with quote  #3 
What is "spring brass?". I am familiar with bronze and phosphor bronze.
Andius

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Festus,

Yes, what is "Spring" Brass? Have heard of spring steel. I use Phosphour Bronze for my low Sa. Never tried Pyramid or plain Brass, so can't compare. What is the tonal difference between brass and P Bronze on the low Sa? Warmer, or brighter etc?

Where did you get that Spring Brass string from? Would like to try it. Thanks.

Andius
Andius

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi Guys,

Yes, just found "Spring Brass Wire" listed on suppliers Fortepiano.com (Google it), as well as "Spring Phosphor Bronze"!!
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #6 
Hey guys, I use the Forte piano guys for my string needs. The website actually has charts showing the composition of the strings. The difference is in the mix of metals and minerals used in the casting process. I us "Rose Red" brass for the low Sa on my veen and I really like it. Its actually 90% copper and is cold drawn. Its mallable enough to lay flat to the bridge, eliminating that "hump" large gauge wires tend to have and visually the vibrations seem to be smoother than the usual brass or bronze strings we all love. I'll probably leave my sitar as is but for Surbahar or veen I think the Red Rose is worth a try. I get 2 sets of veen strings for under 40 bucks from forte also, Top quality and custom sized so I think they are an excellent value.

Reply with quote  #7 
Yep...I use brass as well for my kharaj-string. I use a 0.95 and feels tighter than a 0.95 bronze. The bronze-string tended to flop all over the place and a 1.00 mm was too bulky to play. The 0.95 does the job very well.

Remco
IML

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Andius"
Never tried Pyramid or plain Brass, so can't compare. What is the tonal difference between brass and P Bronze on the low Sa? Warmer, or brighter etc?
Andius
I'd have to say its warmer AND brighter
but definitely balanced
stays pretty stable, too

from sitars etc.;
4th string (Low SA or "C")#28 size - .02765 inch (brass)

Has anyone tried those Pyramid Golden series strings, by any chance?
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #9 
I keep both in stock. My Indian customers consistantly purchase the phosphor bronze. Shahid Parvez was just in on Wednesday and bought a quarter pound coil of it.
K
element-82

Reply with quote  #10 
Hey Keshav,
he doesn't have a low Sa string, just the jorda string is phosphor bronze. I think most people use phos.bronze for the that string, no?

Pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Keshav
I keep both in stock. My Indian customers consistantly purchase the phosphor bronze. Shahid Parvez was just in on Wednesday and bought a quarter pound coil of it.
K

Anonymous

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "element-82"
Hey Keshav,
he doesn't have a low Sa string, just the jorda string is phosphor bronze. I think most people use phos.bronze for the that string, no?

Pb

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Keshav
K
Ustad-Ji was buying for 3rd peg Sa / 0.016 gauge wire. The 0.022 guage has proved to be difficult if not impossible to get in bronze phosphor these days. BTW - we don't sell Pyramid like my esteemed collegue at Sitars Etc. - but if you like them - call Bharat and buy 'em while you can at his current price. Word is, the Pyramid folks are going to announce something crazy like a 90% increase in price because of rising costs for brass, copper and bronze. I've just this morning been notified that my cost for harmoniums has increased for this same reason.
Cheers,
K
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #12 
Hi all again

No trouble makin'. Promise

I presume we're all talking about a Sitar Bass SA string are we????? :?

If it's Surbahar Kharaj SA then I use a round wound Saraswati Veena string I got from Chennai on my last trip there. Perfect length for the new surbee but too short fo my ist one.

Nick
festus

Reply with quote  #13 
Yes , I was referring to the bass Sa on the sitar.
Sitardoc asked me about the "spring" phosphor bronze .028 and if I could acquire it.
But I was wanting everyone's personal take ...
i use Forte products as well as buying supplies from Bharat and others of you on the left side of the page.
I always seam to lean toward the left........ when I'm i a leaning mood :wink:
sitarman

Reply with quote  #14 
Right.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.