INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
povster

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "coyootie"
I've owned/played tun sitars that were ca. 80-100 years old and they were fine. Indian climate is much rougher on instruments but if they are well maintained I don't see any issue with a good instrument lasting generations. There are plenty of playable instruments all over the world that can be dated for hundreds of years,and tun wood is resistant stuff as is teak.
Coyootie, I missed your post but have to agree. If an instrument is well made with good materials and properly maintained, it should last a VERY long time.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's I did some restoration work on a few very old North Indian instruments at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. I was amazed at their structural integrity. I honestly don't remember the specifics of them except for one tanpura, beautifully decorated/painted, that was about 80 years old but was fitted, somehow/sometime with a sitar bridge and with the wrong strings. :?: But it was very solid and after I fitted a proper bridge and strings/threads it had a fine tone.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.