INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Shivadhyanam

Reply with quote  #1 
hi there.

A month ago I was in France for a yoga program and there I met a very nice Indian tabla player (Allamprabhu) from Karnataka, India. Well, while we would be atending the program, he would sometimes go off and teach the kids some tabla. One day he came to me and and said: "listen, there is an amazing kid there. He can play Trkita's, this and that in just one hour!!!". I thought he was exagerating but later on I went with him and believe me, he wasn't kidding. The kid had never touched a tabla before and he was playing bols, phrases, kaidas ( in good speed and quite clear ) that would take us at least a month to learn ( perhaps months to most of us ). Allamprabhu-ji was so impressed with the kid that when the festival/programa ended he gave him one of his pair of tablas. Well, after that they left to Spain (Mallorca) and as far as I know they didn't know of anyone playing tabla there that could teach/help him. I promised to send them a link and advice for a book with cd (preferable with DVD) and I am even thinking to go down there to help him one day. For this I would want them to buy one of the best books with DVD for his reference. This is where I need your help. Which book (+ dvd/cd) would you guys advice me? From Sameer Chaterjee's to Shankar Gosh's, Alloke Dutta's to David's book etc etc which one do you guys think is the best and why?

Would apreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #2 
These are all good choices, depending on the 'kid's' age and english reading ability. I'm not aware thar David's book comes with a DVD (the Mel Bay edition?) Aloke Dutta's book is good with a good CD and lot's of variations in a few major taals, but again it's a lot of reading and the notation style may not be the most clear to everyone especially a young beginner. Pt. Chatterjee's book would be my first recommendation as it has a lengthy DVD with clear notations, however the primary text is in english and it's considerably more expensive than the others. (It's possible that if you explained that it's for a young Spanish reader you might obtain the DVD separately from the book.)
Seems like Pt. Shankar Ghosh's DVD (with a well written booklet geared for beginners) would be the best bet.
I wouldn't be surprised if, in fact there are more then a few tabla players in Mallorca - seems I remember hearing of at least one tabla player in the Valencia area of Spain which is the closest city to Mallorca.

Try a PM to 'Rastaal' (Andalucia) in the member list.

Hope this helps.

A.

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks Aana.

No, I don't think David's book come with a DVD. On Aloke's one I was refering more to the DVD (Tabla techniques) wich I think is a stand alone (no book I mean). I first thought and hoped it might be part of the "Tabla: Lessons and practice" book. I prefer VHS/DVD's with accompaning book/booklet. Don't like too much the idea of pausing/rewind to read the last palta etc. I guess these two above are out for the moment. The kid knows some English and his father speaks well. Again, you mention that I could ask for the DVD only for Pandit Chaterjee's book (Are you sure you are not Pandit-ji himself??? You seem the have the same Aanadha name I guess that that is not a good idea since we are here talking of Spain and to be more specific, Mayorca. The kid would defenitely need a book to cover his face while taking his afternoon siesta (all that midday sun... 8) A DVD alone just wouldn't do the Job. Pandit Chaterjee's book indeed sounds very expensive but comparing to the price of lessons nowdays, the amount of knowledge he would gain from it and how much time and money he would save in the long term from having such a valuable resource, I guess it might just be worth every peny. I guess it will be then between Shankar Gosh's and Chaterjee's. A tough choice indeed!!!

I doubt there are any tabla players (at least someone advanced enough to teach properly) in Mallorca. I hope I am wrong. Anyway, as you may know, Mayorca is an island and Valecia is in the mainland. The way things are these days, I guess it would be cheaper for him to fly to London than going to the main land.

cheers
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.