INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi I wondered if anybody here could help me figure out how to reduce the drone in this recording? This is a recording of a Charukeshi jod.

I have a harmonium providing drone and the only recording I have of this performance is a mixed mono. that you can hear it on soundcloud below:

Is there a way to reduce the volume of the drone without affecting the sitar part?

I have some basic familiarity with Audacity and Adobe Audition but not quite sure what to I should do to change sitar/drone balance.

Thanks for any suggestions.

vbnautilus

Reply with quote  #2 
Since the drone is a lower frequency than the sitar, you could try a high pass filter to reduce the low frequency power. You'll have to play with the cutoff frequency. May even be able to do this with an equalizer, just taking down the bass freqs. Not gonna be perfect if you don't have the separate tracks recorded though.
ShivAnandiTodi

Reply with quote  #3 
It's difficult even with a spectrum analyser as the drone frequency and the sitar harmonics make removing it difficult without affecting the sitar.
I played around with a few settings I don't know if this is any better:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fddduwo2u3j8t47/Charukeshi_GP16_274607220_-_Kirya1990_v4.mp3
Kirya

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
It's difficult even with a spectrum analyser as the drone frequency and the sitar harmonics make removing it difficult without affecting the sitar.
I played around with a few settings I don't know if this is any better:
Yes I think it is definitely better. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I would love to know what you did to make the sitar so much more prominent in the recording mix.

Thank you again ShivAnandiTodi

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.