INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
These are links to sound samples recorded with a $10 microphone and the same basic melody is improvised in a kind of alap on a theme from a jazz music composition

One is is 35 year old Naskar that has never had a jawari done by anybody who really knows what they are doing which means all jawari was done by me

The other is a new Rikhiram sitar with some synthetic bridge substance I just got in January -- it is in C# rather than C and the chikari strings are thicker gauge which I still am not comfortable with in terms of sound

Can anybody who might know from just listening to this little sample tell me what either instrument might need to have done to correct the sound to make it better?

I think both need some jawari adjustments

povster

Reply with quote  #2 
Depends on what you are looking for.

The Naskar is very open to my ear, unpleasantly so. It needs to be closed down a fair bit. I also don;t hear much as far as sympathetics, so that could be addressed as well.

The RR is much more closed but could stand a little opening up.

You also mentioned, regarding the RR "it is in C# rather than C and the chikari strings are thicker gauge which I still am not comfortable with".

Could you expand on this? C is unusual for a sitar. Just too low, especially for a new instrument. C# or D are much more common. Also, what gauge are you using for the chikaris and why did you go thicker (or did it come with thicker chik strings?)

Kirya

Reply with quote  #3 
Povster Thanks for your comments

The Naskar is tuned to C (since I play with other musicians sometimes) and the Rikhiram to C#

BTW you are correct about the sympathetic strings on Naskar - some of the strings have not been changed for 20 years !! so I guess they are less responsive

The Naskar has standard chikari gauge = .009 for top 2 and .009 for the P
The RR has .010 for the top 2 and .012 (same as baaj) for the P and Ajay Sharma tells me that this is correct. All the taraf strings are also .010.

He also assures me that the sitar will open up as I play it more (this sample is after about 5 weeks of use). I find this opening is happening with the baaj but the other strings all sound pretty closed to me. He assures me that it will open and to just keep playing.

Everything I have done on the Naskar has caused it to open up more. I am not quite sure what to do to close it down more and I do plan to get jawari done but not till Scott visits S Cal. Is there something I could do?

Ideally what I am looking for is a a strong clear baaj sound (but not too open) and a clear chikari. I guess as close to the balance that NB has on his sitar sound but maybe just a tad more open.

I agree with you that the Naskar is too open / bright and the RR is too closed

Kirya

Reply with quote  #4 
I have just noticed that my top bridge on the Naskar has slid forward a quarter inch - I will adjust and see what the impact on the sound will be after I re-seat the main bridge.

Also could anybody suggest what I could do to close the jawari which is a little too open. What should I focus on?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.