INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
pbercker

Reply with quote  #1 
A lifetime ago (1999 to be precise) I had some tabla lessons from Mallar Ghosh (who should be better known) that I recorded (audio only) and that I just recently found including his handwritten notes. A portion that I recorded were several relas that he attempted to teach me. (Truthfully, I was just a beginning tabla student, and I was simultaneously awed and bewildered by the blizzard of dhires dhires and dhene genes...). It's only about 10 minutes but an instructive 10 minutes I think!

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/3152/mallarghoshbio.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The video is the audio along with his handwritten notes of each compositions to follow along:

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Betaji

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi,

The rela notes and execution of the bols are excellent. Please
clarify the Right & Left way/variations of playing Dhere Dhere.

Tks.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
Firstly , that is some really amazing fast playing there ! !
WOW!
You were lucky to have some time with Mallar Ghosh !

I too didnt get what the left and right hand things meant on the first page

Also somewhere there were the bols 'ding' and 'ting' which I don't understand.

The compositon rellas look good with some variety in there - I was just blown away with Ghosh's playing and speed ! ! !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Apparently "dhire dhire" can be played left to right or right to left (like te te, i.e. middle finger and index finger, or the reverse).

Ding = dhin + ne

PB

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #5 
Jnan Prakash Ghosh was certainly a major player in ICM & multi talented & a very intelligent man to boot. Mallar does him proud & some nice titbits there but i'm sure he does a short cut when he does the kaida rela at top speed but no doubting the beautiful clear and nice hand and would be nice to hear a full solo of Mallar as i really like his sound.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"
Apparently "dhire dhire" can be played left to right or right to left (like te te, i.e. middle finger and index finger, or the reverse).

Ding = dhin + ne

PB
Ahh that make sense - on dhire dhire I was taught right to left which I see is quite common - in the Tari Khan video you can see him play hide dhire dhire left to right - I suppose it's also what is comfortable for you

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.