INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
DaveP

Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/ustad-abdul-halim-jaffer-khans-style-does-not-bear-any-allegiance-to-any-gharana-not-even-senia/article8280538.ece
coyootie

Reply with quote  #2 
wow! what a heart!
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
Nice article! Love what he is saying about gharanas (and the absence of that in his style). Is he still performing (or teaching)?

Why did they leave Nikhil Banerjee out of the so called "sitar trinity"?
For me this "trinity" is RS, NB and VK. I always come back to those three and that is what I listen to for 85% of the time when it comes to sitar.

The quote that struck me the most is this:
"Humour is one avenue which is completely unexplored in Hindustani music"

There is some truth in that.....
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Oh, I don't know about that. Humor is working its way into the performances. The dialog between artists on stage is one example. In the jugalbande segments, the artists try to trick each other with slipped beats or exaggerated phrases which often draws an appreciative laugh from the audience. Some of the lyrics in vocal performances gets the occasional laugh. Shame I don't understand the language but there it is. Sometimes the condition of some of the instruments gets a laugh out of me but that's just me ! The eternal opening felicitations always gets a laugh out of me as well but again -

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
Nice article! Love what he is saying about gharanas (and the absence of that in his style). Is he still performing (or teaching)?

Why did they leave Nikhil Banerjee out of the so called "sitar trinity"?
For me this "trinity" is RS, NB and VK. I always come back to those three and that is what I listen to for 85% of the time when it comes to sitar.

The quote that struck me the most is this:
"Humour is one avenue which is completely unexplored in Hindustani music"

There is some truth in that.....
I think AJK is nearly if not completely deaf now which is very sad. I've never met him but from interviews and performances he always struck me as a fun nice person who wasn't afraid to let it all hang out. His music also hints that he's having fun. It's a shame he wasn't more well known in the West but he's quite well known especially in Maharashtra.

As far as the 'Trinity' it's most likely that the person who wrote the article simply doesn't know much and so it's just the way it came out.

Lars

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks for the article - I've always loved Ustadji's take on raga.
He is definitely a maestro beyond compare and should be required listening for any serious study of ICM.

Rather than Trinity let's call it a Quaternity (quaternitas) if we must -
or better yet -
Abdul Hallim Jaffir Khan is one of the last great Elder Statesmen - a much truer description.

He is also one of the last great exponents of the Indore Gharana which includes Mushtaq Khan, even tho he now espouses his own Jaffirkhani Baj .

We must also include the remaining masters like Rais Khan-saheb etc. in the list of elder statesmen - but the list IS getting quite small indeed.

rather than lack of knowledge - The author is possibly just using popular quotes to flesh out his article....
The Trinity quote I believe started with the Wikipedia articles. RS - VK - AHJK are all named the "Sitar Trinity" at the good ol wiki & as the youngest - this misconception (a frequent wiki occurrence) Possibly due to his being one of the OLD masters from All India Radio days in the 1940's - This could be why NB was left off in many of these quotes & articles.

Irregardless - my dear guru Patric always pointed to AHJK as one of the greatest and most interesting of Sitar Maestro's especially in terms of Indore Gharana.

Hamletsghost 8)

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.