INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
lior

Reply with quote  #1 
hi all! i was wondered if some1 can help me with a suggestion. i bought my tabla in varanasi and sent it to israel by mail. although it was sent in a raugh case it got 2 knoks on the bhaya's body (i think that the material is snare), as u can see in the pictures. do some1 knows if there's something i can do with it, or trying to fix it will damage it even more? thanks anyway!
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #2 
Don't worry about it. It doesn't make a difference in the sound. When you have to change the head, use a small hammer and undo the dent then.

Protest Warrior sign.
lior

Reply with quote  #3 
i think that it does make a different sound. the sustain is longer and the pitch changes more rapidly. i dont remember exactly how was the sound different before because i had it for a few days in varanasi before sending it.
Vivek

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "lior"
i think that it does make a different sound. the sustain is longer and the pitch changes more rapidly.
Liorji,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "pitch changes more rapidly," but either way, keep in mind that any effect the dents may have on the sound would be negligible compared to factors such as:
1. Differences in weather/humidity between Varanasi and Israel
2. The conditions encountered in the shipping process and
3. The fact that it is a new bayan, and will probably continue to change drastically in sound as it is played. This flux will continue until the head finds an even level of tension, and varies depending on the head, how it is laced, and you play it.

This is completely ok, and certainly an expected part of getting a new tabla. Just take good care of it, and soon enough the sound will even out and it should sound much better than when you first got it.

- Vivek

Reply with quote  #5 
There was an older post on using rare earth magnet tools to remove bayan dents that I had started. This type of embossed bayan is NOT a candidate for this type of removal as the embossing would burnished away at the same time as the dent.

David
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.